Chapter 47 - Rendezvous

Lord Yuan kept his cool while walking Shuang back to her rooms. She was upset that her insolent bodyguard had drunk the cup he had offered her and rightly so! Ghost's rude behavior had spoiled her mood and the intimate atmosphere he had worked so hard to create.

He too was seething inside. That meddling bodyguard had foiled his carefully laid out plans. Ghost had also wasted his very expensive aphrodisiacs drug! He used it sparingly, usually depending on his charms and position to lure girls. It was his last opportunity to drug Shuang and bed her before the engagement banquet. Deflowering her guaranteed the maiden marrying him. She would have no choice. It would be the only way for her to save face and her family's reputation.

Now, thanks to Ghost, he would have to try again. Tonight. There would be no more chances after tonight.

He would have to get Shuang alone to persuade her. He'd have to seal the deal tonight or lose his hefty bet with his friends. Not only that, he would also lose the prospect of acquiring Zhai's highly trained soldiers which the Ruling Lord had pledged to his new son-in law as a wedding gift. Wasn't that what the rumors said? It had been confirmed by several sources. Military strength, that was what House Zhai was known for. The battalion would greatly improve House Yuan's prestige and defenses, and he would be in charge of them!

"Please, don't be angry Lady Shaung. It is not good for your health," Shun Xi said in a persuasive voice.

"I know, but I can't help it."

She turned to gaze at Shun Xi. "I'm so sorry. I ... I feel bad for letting Ghost ruin everything. I feel so upset. Now, all I want is to rest and calm my nerves."

"It's alright Lady Shuang. I understand. Maybe ..." he left his sentence hanging.

"Maybe?" she half turned.

He smiled winningly at Lady Shuang. "Maybe after you have rested, we could meet again?"

"Meet?" she asked. "When? There is no more time. Tomorrow I will officially be Lord Zhang's. My father will announce it in front of everyone at the banquet," she said sadly. "I don't really want to marry that old man."

Old man? Wasn't Lord Zhang only twenty-five? At that age, he was just entering into his prime years, thought Shun Xi in surprise, then he checked himself. Of course, compared to Lady Shuang who was going to be sixteen years in a few days, Lord Zhang was old. He grinned. That was a bonus point in his favor.

"Lady, meet me tonight. I may have a way for you to save yourself."

"Tonight?"

"Yes, please come alone. Don't bring your bodyguards," he pleaded. "There will be no danger and I will be there to protect you. They are always butting in our time together, especially Ghost."

"I ... I don't know."

"Please, Lady. I ..." Shun Xi lowered his voice dramatically and caught her gaze. "I love you, Lady Shuang. I have never met another woman as beautiful, cultured or as enchanting as you. Please give me one last chance. It would mean a lot to me. I may not be able to love another after this but at least I will have one last sweet memory with you."

"Alright," she said looking down demurely but her heart fluttered wildly in her chest. Lord Yuan really knew how to make her feel better! He was so sweet.

Another night time secret meeting at the pavilion. He wanted to be alone with her! How romantic was that? Shun Xi really cared for her. He was thinking of ways to save her even at the very last moments.

She smiled coyly at him. "Tonight then."

"Thank you, dearest Lady," he said. On impulse, he reached out to catch her hand and squeezed it. He let go before LiQuin saw him and Key could object.