Chapter 5 - Predicament

The Captain of the Elite Guards kept his gaze averted. Embarrassment plainly written on his face as he gave his report to Lord Zhai in a low clear voice. He ended with an apology.

"Lord Zhai, I'm afraid there is no one else. Every one of my men have taken a turn at guarding Lady Shuang but she's just ... umm, just ..." he trailed off helplessly. 

"I apologize. I have failed. "

Lord Zhai listened in silence studying his trusted Captain. The veteran soldier had stood by him through thick and thin. He had proven his loyalty more than once and have saved his life countless times in battle. To see him this agitated was almost funny even if the situation was not.

The Lord of the ruling House sighed. Shuang, his youngest daughter was beautiful and the jewel of the family. In her mother's eyes, she could do no wrong and she knew it. Taking advantage of her position, she was spoilt, demanding and well, sometimes difficult. Lady Zhai always sided with her and Lord Zhai tried his best not to upset his wife.

In the world's eyes, Shuang was a child, at least for another three months. Then she would reach sixteen and be married off for political, social or economical gains as was her duty. Until then, she would be his wife's precious daughter and the gem of House Zhai. He could wait another three months.

House Zhai would celebrate her birthday together with her wedding. A grand double celebration.

He already had a candidate in mind, Zhang Xi Xuan. The man was heir apparent as Head of the mysterious and powerful Zhang House. Although old Lord Zhang was still healthy and of sound mind, he was slowly but surely entrusting his position to his only son. Lord Zhai snorted. He, would never do such a ridiculous thing but who knew how the Zhangs operated. Whatever, maybe the old man had an illness he did not want the world to know or he may want to spend the rest of his days pursuing his own interests without worrying about the family business. Unusual but then the Zhangs were weird.

From all accounts, Zhang Xi Xuan was a mild mannered individual. Already 25 years old, a scholar who was more interested in the arts, poetry and books. He was still a bachelor, having turned away numerous proposals. However, he had finally opened up to the idea of marriage. It came with the position. A Head of family as prestigious as his should have a a wife to continue his line. Lord Zhai smiled. Surely, he would be able to control his potential son-in law and take advantage of the lucrative straits the Zhangs controlled. He would make a fortune and House Zhai invincible.

"Ahem," Captain Chiang cleared his throat bringing his Lord back to the present. His Lord was smiling to himself again, distracted by some devious plan. He really had too many things on his plate.

"Hmmm? Oh yes, my daughter," said the older man. "Captain, surely there are some men left ..."

"My Lord, it's not that I don't want to give you any more guards. It's because most of my Elites have taken a turn at protecting Lady Shuang and failed. They can't disrespect or disobey her demands even if it's unreasonable."

He let that sink in before continuing. The young Miss had bullied and dismissed his Elite guards summarily abusing her position shamelessly. They had endured her repeated insults and accusations quietly, swallowing their pride under Captain Chiang's strict orders to maintain peace in House Zhai. An open revolt would disrupt the ruling House indeed. However, he did take note of their reports. The stories were consistent depicting her entitled and obnoxious behaviour. She was more than a spoilt brat, she was a tyrant.

"After analyzing the situation, I must conclude that my men are not at fault. They are all capable well-trained soldiers who are able to handle most situations. Guarding and protecting Lady Shaung should be no problem, like guarding Lady Huain (eldest daughter) and the young Masters (second and third sons)."

Captain Chiang waited for a rebuke but continued when there was none. "The main reason they are being replaced so frequently is that she does not listen to advice nor reason regarding her safety. She puts them in awkward situations and they do not know how to respond to her antics. In reality, my Elites are not free to enforce discipline on Lady Shuang. She knows that and bullies them. If they refuse her outrageous wishes, she threatens to report them to you or Lady Zhai for disciplinary action."

Lord Zhai's mouth turned down. He had heard the rumors regarding his daughter's outrageous behaviour but had turned a deaf ear. It was more convenient that way. It was his wife's job to maintained household matters anyway. She had managed this far but when it came to Shuang, she turned a deaf ear.

The Head of House Zhai sighed again. He should not be bothered with simple domestic matters like this. Guarding schedules and such were left to the Captain and his subordinates. But as Captain Chiang had brought it to his attention, he knew the matter had gotten out of hand.

"I'm terribly sorry, My Lord. I have no one else to offer ... except perhaps the new half trained recruits. However, I would not recommend it. The young Mistress needs professional protection from well trained fighters."

Lord Zhai took a deep breath to calm himself down. He hated dealing with household matters but this time he had to. Another three more months, that's all he needed. After that, Shuang's safety would be her new husband's problem.

Captain Chiang was a warrior. He was an excellent swordsman and a good leader. However, he was helpless against the wiles and tantrums of Shuang. She was a noble, a higher rank and most importantly, his Master's daughter.

"Sir, Lady Shuang's safety is important. I need your instructions on how to proceed," pushed the Captain.

Lord Zhai fell silent. He crossed his arms, fingers drumming against his bulging biceps. Captain Chiang kept his peace, he knew the signs of his Lord thinking. He watched as Lord Zhai frowned and muttered to himself, making plan after plan and discarding it. After a few long minutes, he looked up towards the ceiling and stared at it.

Captain Chiang waited. His Lord had made a decision.

"Captain."

"Yes, My Lord," Captain Chiang answered formally responding to his Master's curt military tone and waited for his orders.

"You will contact the Dark Sect. I will speak with Old Wolf."

"But Sir!!" he blurted before he could stop himself. The Dark Sect was not a solution, they were thieves, murderers ... surely Lord Zhai would not have any near his precious daughter.

"We have had business before. They have capable trained men and are loyal to their contracts."

"Sir, the lady's safety is paramount but they are killers. They are not our men and they are not loyal to House Zhai."

"They are loyal to gold and have a reputation in honoring any contract to the last letter. I will buy their loyalty."

"But Sir!" the Captain tried again. He could not comprehend allowing strangers the heavy task of protecting one of the ruling family members. They were outsiders.

"Do not worry. I will pay them enough to ensure their unwavering loyalty. Shuang will be safe until I can get her married off."

"But ..."

"Do you have any other suggestions?"

"Ummm, no Sir," he replied defeated.

"I will deal with Old Wolf." His tone was final.

"Yes, Sir."