Chapter 62 - Glass Part 1

Ghost hid in the shadows of one of the large decorative granite statues in the compound. Instinct made him move for cover the second he stepped out of Lord Zhang's chambers. Something was not right.

Listening, he scanned the area carefully letting his training take over. The beautiful partial moon aided him, flooding the area with bright moonlight on the cloudless night. He waited patiently like what seemed an eternity.

There!

The shadow of the tree outside Xi Xiu's window fell wrong. It did not match the shape of the tree he knew grew there. He squinted, trying to make out the discrepancy. Shadows moved. A man was making his way to Xi Xiu's room? His figure looked familiar. Ghost move stealthily closer.

The next few seconds were a blur. The shadow lunched at him, dagger glinting in the moonlight. Ghost deflected the blade in time with his own. A few more moves and both had the sharp edges at each others neck.

"Ghost?" a rough voice hissed.

Ghost blinked. "Glass?"

Upon identification, both Shards withdrew their weapons.

"What are you doing here?" growled Glass. "You're supposed to be with the Zhai brat. Aren't her rooms a ways from here?"

"Mission," answered Ghost curtly.

He did not like what Glass's presence at the Zhangs' accommodations meant. Hopefully it was just to gather information, but then, Glass did not accept such jobs. He preferred jobs with action. He was known for it.

"What are you doing here?"

"Mission," Glass replied smugly. "Now move away, you're blocking my Target."

"Target? What? Who?"

"None of your business. Now if you please, I'm working."

Ghost tensed. Was his Target Xi Xuan? No, Glass' position indicated otherwise. Xi Xiu? Dread filled him.

"No."

Glass hissed. "What do you mean 'No'? Didn't you hear me? I'm on a job right now. If you don't move, I will report you."

"No."

"I'm not going to kill the girl. I'm just going to have a little fun with her before I take her to Lord Zhai. He wants her alive. Now get out of my way so I can do my job."

Glass' words confirmed his Target was Xi Xiu. He knew what Glass's meaning of fun meant. By the time he was done with her, Xi Xiu would be traumatized for life and barely breathing but alive. Rage built up and exploded in him. No one was going to hurt Xi Xiu!! No one!!

"I'm warning you. Abort and cancel this mission. She is my Target too. I've been assigned to protect her."

"Liar!! I know for a fact you have no such Target. Zhang Xi Xiu is not on the Target list. Nightshade would never make the mistake of overlapping Targets."

Ghost's heart dropped.

"Old Wolf is stupid for rejecting this job. It does not jeopardize any other missions. It'll make me rich." His thin lips stretched into a sinister smile, "I'm warning you that Nightshade has given me complete discretion for this mission. I can proceed however I see fit, even if it means cutting you."

"Nightshade said that?"

"Yep."

Both Fives glared at each other. Glass' statement left Ghost chilled to the bone. Nightshade took on a job that Old Wolf rejected? What in the world was the Six up to? Did Old Wolf know? Was Nightshade undermining Old Wolf?