Chapter 24 - Realisation

Aaishhhh!!

Key groaned inwardly and closed his eyes in denial at the inevitable. He swallowed as Xin pushed up Ghost's sleeves to check the damage on his forearms.

The reins which the Five had wound around his arms had cut into his flesh leaving bloody red marks and broken skin. Xin had to clean away the blood to check the extent of damage before treating it. Hopefully, his muscles were only stained and the lacerations superficial. If not Ghost's hands may be useless for days or maybe even weeks.

Vice-Captain Xin inhaled sharply and froze when he saw the Shard's Mark. It was exactly how he remembered it, the image of five deadly shards chasing each other in an incomplete circle. The single word 'Gui' was neatly etched in the middle.

Now, it hit him where he had seen the man before. Xin raised startled eyes to stare disbelievingly at Ghost. He couldn't believe his eyes.

'Gui' means Ghost. It was his codename. His Dark Sect codename as an active working Shard.

Suddenly everything fell into place. How the bodyguard looked so familiar. How he was so capable and well trained. How he had maimed and killed so many of the rebels. He had thought it was partly skill and partly plain dumb luck that Ghost had hit so many attackers with the blades he was throwing. Ghost was the Messenger! He was a skilled Shard of the Dark Sect!

"YOU!!" Xin whispered fiercely in disbelief. "What the hell are you doing here?!"

"Apparently not dying," replied Ghost calmly. "And earning my keep as Shuang's bodyguard."

"Lady Shuang," Xin corrected automatically. "And you know that's not what I meant!"

"Ooww! Oooowww!! Stop pulling on my arm. It hurts! I thought you were supposed to be treating my wounds."

"I'll do more than pull your arm out if you don't tell me now what you're really doing here. Is Lady Shuang your Target? Are you going to harm her?" he whispered angrily trying to maintain a bold face but his heart was already sinking with dread.

If the Messenger was truly after Lord Zhai's youngest daughter, everyone here was already technically dead. It didn't matter that the Messenger was hurt, he was still alive and dangerous.

Xin took a quick look around, mentally preparing himself for the slaughter. There were wounded Elites, nuns, temple guards and of course Key, the other bodyguard who Ghost would have to fight to get to Lady Shuang.

Key.

Xin studied the other bodyguard for a moment. Poor Key. Did he even know he had been working with a dangerous killer Shard? A Shard who was by his side and could end his life at any time? Key was in constant danger and he didn't even know it. He had to warn the guy.

It did not even occur to Xin that Key, the likable and friendly bodyguard could also be a Shard. After all, the Dark Sect was not a group where anyone could simply enter and be a part of. Besides, what were the chances that there were two Shards by Lady Shuang's side in House Zhai?

All his thoughts strung along together in an incoherent mess as he tried to understand the new information. Panic and dread flooded through him. The Vice-Captain's eyes flicked back to Ghost. Xin knew that he would be the first one to die. He was the nearest and the most obvious target. His mouth turned down, ahhh, poor QinQin, he couldn't even tell his beloved wife he loved her or hold her for the last time or ... be there for their unborn baby.

"Hey, you're overthinking again."

The Messenger's smug tone snapped Xin out of his dark thoughts.

"What do you mean?"