Chapter 48 - Mismatched

All was quiet and peaceful in the wee morning hours. It was still dark outside, perfect for reading and catching up on reports. Zhang Xi Xuan scanned a scroll as he waited patiently for his friend to wake up. He guessed Xiao Gui would want some answers before leaving.

The bright burning flames from the yellowish candles did not even flicker when Ghost entered the room. Zhang Xi Xuan looked up from the missive he was reading alerted to the Shard's presence only by his anticipation of Ghost's arrival and his martial arts training. Anyone else would have been oblivious to the Five's entrance.

"Ahhh Xiao Gui, you're awake. I thought you'd stop by on your way out," said Xi Xuan as he covered his scroll carefully. He folded it over as he laid it down on the table ensuring its contents remained confidential. "How are you feeling?"

"Better ... much better." Ghost paused, unsure how to express his feelings. It was unnerving every time Xi Xuan proved his trustworthiness, support or helped him without question. Even after years of friendship, the novelty of having a true friend like Xi Xuan still surprised him.

"Thank you," he said simply. He did not know how else to express his gratitude.

Xi Xuan picked up his large handheld fan and flicked it open. Then he cleared his throat and a slow warm smile formed on his thin lips. "Xi Xiu helped too, you know," he said in a voice that indicated he knew exactly where and what his sister had been doing all night.

"I, ahhh ... " Ghost flushed. "Please thank her for me. I didn't want to wake her up."

"You should thank her yourself. If she hadn't brought you here ..." Xi Xuan shook his head, "It may have been a disaster."

He waited for his statement to sink in. By the solemn expression on Xiao Gui's face, he fully understood the implications and grasped the gravity of the situation. What Lord Yuan did was basically treason against the Ruling family. The Shard had saved Shuang's reputation, preserving her virtue and honour.

A sudden look of panic crossed his face and he caught Xi Xuan's gaze.

"Did I ... ahhh, cause any problems yesterday?" he asked. If he had hurt Xi Xiu in any way, he would never forgive himself. In fact, Xi Xuan could and probably would order him killed if he did. Ghost swallowed, his mind racing. Xi Xuan wouldn't be so civil to him now if he did something wrong, right?

"You mean kissing my baby sister?"

"Kissing? Xi Xiu?" gulped Ghost swallowing hard.

Oh my God! It was real. He had thought the deep sweet kiss he had shared with Xi Xiu was part of his drugged fantasies of her. She had been so soft, willing and had practically melted in his arms. Didn't she kiss him back? Bringing his head to meet her lips again when he tried to regain control? He frowned trying to remember. Did he kiss her or she him? It had been difficult to distinguish between reality and fantasy at that time.

"I did?"

"You don't remember?" Xi Xuan asked in a dangerous voice raising an elegant eyebrow questioningly. He started fanning himself slowly. Somehow his casual move seem like a warning. Ghost paled under Xi Xuan's cold stare. This was not Zhang Xi Xuan his friend, this was Zhang Xi Xiu's elder brother.

"Ahhh ... I ... she ... is she angry? Are you angry?"

Silence.

"Please tell her I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take advantage ..."

"Tell her yourself."

"What ...?" asked Ghost startled. He had not heard anyone but turned around guiltily half expecting a furious Xi Xiu to be standing behind him with daggers in her hands. No one was there.