Chapter 11 - The Spy Master

The Spy Master paused in his reading. Something, no ... someone had just emerged from the shadows of the decorative painted screens.

"You're here." He smiled. "I've been expecting you. I wondered when you'd show up."

Ghost stepped out silently to scan the empty room. The Spy Master's guards were both outside his doors. They were alone. He relaxed.

"Come. Sit," invited the Spy Master.

"I came to warn you."

"Oh?" the tall slender man lifted an elegant eyebrow curiously.

"There is a girl stalking you outside. You should be careful. I think she likes you," the Shard smirked at the older man.

"Ah, you've met my little sister I see," he responded calmly. "She is practising her trailing techniques in a new environment. I guess she failed since you found her out so quickly and even determined her Target."

The Shard's heart skipped a beat. It really was her!

"Really? It's really Xi Xiu?"

"Why do you look so surprised? I told you the last time we met that I would bring her along with me on my next trip. This happens to be it."

"But ... darn it ..." Ghost muttered under his breath.

Xi Xuan was not flustered at all, in fact, the annoyingly calm Spy Master had turned the tables on him. He took a moment but adjusted to the situation recovering quickly.

"Xi Xiu's all grown up. Actually, she is quite good. It was just her misfortune that I was around."

"I forgot who I was talking to," Xi Xuan laughed, "... but you're hurt," he continued in a concerned voice noticing the blood on his young friend's neck.

"This?" asked Ghost tilting his head to exposed his neck. The girl's dagger had grazed his skin. "It's nothing, just a flesh wound."

"Xi Xiu?"

Ghost shrugged nonchalantly. "My fault. I wasn't paying attention as I should. I have learnt my lesson."

The Spy Master raised both eyebrows this time. Was Ghost actually admitting a mistake? That was rare. He supposed his sibling was not that bad after all.

Zhang Xi Xuan knew his old friend's range of formidable skills. According to his latest information, Ghost had just passed his level Five test and had recently been promoted. He was now officially a level Five Shard. The latest and the youngest Five. As far as Xi Xuan knew, the others were much older. If he asked to see the Shard's mark, he was positive he would see the five symbolic daggers. One for every mastered level.

Xi Xuan's brows creased. What exactly could distract a person like Ghost?

"Really?"

Ghost smiled sheepishly but said nothing before taking a sip of the offered fragrant tea.

Xi Xuan would never forget the day he met Ghost. It was five years ago when a young 12-year-old thief had saved him. The Zhang heir had accompanied his father to Zinnu for a learning experience and tour. Whilst his father had been in a meeting, he was tasked to meet several informants for reports. It was also a way to introduce himself and establish his growing authority to the scattered undercover network in Zinnu. Furthermore, it increased morale for the House to contact the network personally periodically.

One wrong turn later, young Xi Xuan had been separated from his guards and ushered into a dead-end alley. Recognized as a rich foreigner, he had been targeted for robbery by local thugs. He would have probably disappeared without a trace if not for young Ghost. The boy had appeared out of nowhere.