Chapter 19 - Escapade Part 2

Although it was night, the town was brightly lit with strings of gay and colourful lanterns. Zinnu was celebrating the coming wedding of House Zhai's youngest daughter. It was also an excuse to continue trading, selling and entertaining well after official business hours. A rare occasion where the citizens could make some extra income off the festivities and influx of foreigners. After Lady Shuang's wedding in a few weeks, all would return to normal. Any who did not take this chance was a fool indeed.

Troupes of entertainers were putting on their best performances. Peddlers were selling all manner of goods from trinkets, accessories, pelts and furs, silk and perfumes. There were also scrolls, books, paintings, leather products, herbs and even some livestock, mainly little chicks and ducklings.

Food stalls were also set up serving local delicacies to the hungry crowd. Delicious aromas wafted in the air as smiling hawkers invited patrons on top of their voices to have a taste. A few stalls even made a display of their cooking to entice the crowd. There was a burly cook who was playing with his massive iron wok over a fierce fire awing passersby with his expertise, a tall skinny man flinging stretched dough while spinning and dancing until it split into fine noodle strands and another skilled chef who was chopping and slicing vegetables so fast, one could hardly see his hands. It all went into a thick stew which smelled heavenly. Drink stalls sold fruit juice, freshly squeezed sugar cane water and wine. Children had their choice of candied treats and hand crafted toys.

There seemed to be many foreigners in the throng of people. Their different dress and hair styles gave them exotic auras. The lively and strange atmosphere was very exciting to a sheltered girl.

Ghost glanced behind and spotted Key. The older Shard had caught up with him. They had decided that it was easier to follow Shuang than to restrain her.

"I've informed the guards on duty at the South gates and their officer in charge. An Elite has been inform to tell Captain Chiang that we are out with Shuang and LiQuin. We will escort them back safely."

Ghost nodded at Key's report. Smart, by doing that, he had effectively informed both the Elites and Old Wolf. Ghost had recognized one of the gate guards as a Level One Shard. The boy was one of the newer trainees. Once he mastered the art of disguise and infiltration, he could be tested for promotion to Level Two. Now they could follow Shuang without worrying about procedure. Captain Chiang would inform Lord Zhai of his daughter's whereabouts at his discretion. With two Shards on her tail, her safety was guaranteed even if she didn't know it.

"Good."

"What's going on?" asked Key referring to the unusual lively atmosphere.

"The delegates are here for Shuang's wedding and re-establishing ties. They will be here for a few weeks I think."

"It's so crowded. A haven for thieves and pickpockets," murmured Key longingly. He cracked his fingers reflexively.

Ghost chortled. "Don't get any ideas."

"I'm not," replied Key as indignantly as he could but his eyes glittered at the buffet of opportunities. All those jewels and money pouches ... Then he sighed sadly, lost opportunities for him. The patrons of Zinnu's night life were safe from him tonight, the greatest Thief in the Dark Sect. Tonight, he was working.

"Where is Shuang?" asked Key getting back to business.

Ghost jerked his head towards a crowded stall about twenty meters away. Key looked and spotted her. She was busy looking at carved wooden bracelets with LiQuin. The beautifully hand crafted ornaments were painted in bright colours. As they watched, she chose a matching pair and handed it over to the merchant. After he had wrapped the items for her, Shuang took them, turned and walked away without looking back. Hastily, LiQuin dug out some coins and dropped them into the merchant's hand before he could shout at her mistress. The maid apologized, bobbing her head before hurrying after Shuang.