Chapter 60 - Returning the Bride Gifts

When evening came, Madame Shao and Lady Lu went to report directly to Lord Zhai. He did not usually bother with such frivolous household chores but he seemed to have taken a personal interest in this matter.

"My Lord, everything has been sent to the side hall," Lady Lu said with lowered head, "... all Lady Shaung's personal bride gifts are there except ..."

Lord Zhai raised a querying brow. He had instructed both the head maid and tutor to get Shuang's things. The faster everything could be returned, the faster he could proceed with his plot. He wanted all the Houses to see his 'good faith' in returning House Zhang's gifts willingly on good terms. He was a man of his word and a loving father. To make amends, he would also make a show of adding some monetary compensation since Lord Zhang had rejected his military offer.

Once House Zhang accepted it and started packing, no one could say anything about his genuine intentions on maintaining good relations. He would not be suspect to public scrutiny when the Zhang girl went missing. That would be a private feud between Zhang and himself.

"Except what? What is the girl clinging onto?"

"The Night Pearls."

"What? What's that?"

"It's the black pearl jewelry set she wore during her Engagement Feast, my Lord. It was Lord Zhang's personal gift to his bride."

"Well, she's not his bride anymore," he said bluntly. "Tell her to give it up."

"I've tried ... We've tried," stammered Lady Lu glancing at Madame Shao for support.

"Lord Zhai," begun Madame Shao, "Despite our most earnest persuasion, she has adamantly refused. She threatened to ran away or hurt herself if we persisted."

Lady Zhai swept in bringing the illusion of Spring with her. Bright whites, yellows and fresh greens adorned her mature figure. Her ensemble was completed with a gauzy deep rose shawl which fell artfully from her shoulders. It perfectly matched the ruby flowers pinned in her hair. The smell of sunshine and wildflowers filled the room.

She would never have intruded if her Lord husband was in his War Room. However, since it was here, in part of her domain, it meant it had nothing to do with war, security or military matters.

"Oh! Just let her keep it. What's wrong with her having a little keepsake from Lord Zhang?"

"It's not right, my love. I'll get Lord Yuan to make her something similar from whatever black gems he has if she likes it so much."

"My Lord," she said, pouring her Lord husband a cup of tea and offering the steaming beverage to him. "It's not the same, and you know it. The black pearls are very rare, no gem can compare to it."

The beautiful woman settled next to the Ruling Lord, "And besides, didn't she look absolutely stunning wearing them last night? No one could take their eyes off our daughter."

She leaned towards him with a sultry smile, her seductive tone, fluttering lashes and inviting glance reminding him of the night they made their daughter.

"I did, I have eyes only for you," he smiled warmly. "But what about Lord Zhang?"

"What about him? Just tell him Shuang misplaced them. He'll be gone before our servants can find them. Then we'll announce that we've finally found them and send them back to him on his little island. Who knows if the courier assigned for the job gets robbed on his errand."

Lord Zhai smiled. "You are as beautiful as you are devious. That's why I love you."

"I love you too, my lord. Don't forget to 'lose' some of my delicacies too. They are really fresh and divine. Tell him to send more as a show of gratitude when we 'find' his pearls before our courier leaves for the Grey Islands."