Chapter 59 - Consequences

The Zhai residence came to life slowly the next day. The lords and ladies were all sleeping in. Those who managed to wake up did so with massive headaches. Screens remained shut, curtains drawn and bowls of hot herbal soup were served to relieve the unrelenting throbbing. Many sought back their beds after swallowing a few spoonfuls. They would sleep the pain away.

Only a few were their alert selves.

Lord Zhai looked across the low solid hardwood table to Lord Zhang. Although he looked pale and worn out from all the drinking and crying he had done the night before, the man still managed to gather some semblance of dignity. The Ruling Lord could not tell if Lord Zhang was really sober. Now, he sat calmly drinking hot fragrant tea. Master Kai and Lady Wei flanked him.

They had arrived shortly after he invited them for a discussion. The early morning invitation was a tactic to catch Lord Zhang off guard. Lord Zhai was counting on the younger lord's splitting headache, still painful heartbreak and embarrassment of rejection for him to rush through the negotiations. He would probably agree to most terms just so he could return to the privacy of his rooms and away from the public eye. He must be mortified of the pitiful looks thrown his way and juicy gossip flying around about him.

Lord Zhai smirked inwardly. Zhang Xi Xuan was child's play, a novice lord.

"Lord Zhang," Lord Zhai begun. "I apologize once again for my daughter's behavior last night but she was right. I did not take her feelings into consideration when I arranged her marriage to you."

"I understand," Lord Zhang murmured.

"My daughter is still young but I guess she knows who she wants. At least she is brave enough to stand up to me. She has courage. She must take after me," he added almost proudly.

"She does take after you."

Lord Zhai frowned a little. Why did Lord Zhang's agreement sound like a veiled insult? What was he insinuating? But he quickly smoothed his features. He must maintain the advantage he had over the young lord and end this discussion quickly.

Lord Zhang tilted his head to study Lord Zhai for a moment. "I must admit, I did feel somewhat offended at her public announcement. If she did not want this alliance, she should have brought up the issue with you privately. Canceling our marriage could have been done discreetly."

"Yes ... there is that," agreed Lord Zhai hesitantly. Why did he stress on 'alliance'? Does this mean he was no longer an ally? Never mind, he will soon have his baby sister. Lord Zhang will have no choice but to submit to his will. The Ruling Lord gave his best fake fatherly smile. "Well, nothing can change now so it's best to forget her."

Xi Xuan kept a straight face, bottling his anger behind a resigned demeanor. Master Kai and Lady Wei had also been instructed to play along. They were there to support him and witness the cancellation of the marriage arrangements. Shuang's choice last night was just the start. All previous arrangements between House Zhai and House Zhang had to be voided and reversed.

"I will try. I suppose it was best that I did not get a chance to know her better."

"Good," the Ruling Lord said nettled again at the reminder of his daughter's untoward behavior. Although her avoidance of Lord Zhang earlier had played into his favor, it still rankled now that everyone knew her education and etiquette was lacking. It hurt the reputation that the Ruling House was trying to build.

"Lord Zhai," Master Kai interjected bowing his head in respect. "As House Zhai was the one who proposed the wedding and alliance through marriage, it is only right that your House should be the one to apologize and make amends."