Chapter 49 - Indecision

According to the sun in the sky, there was still time before Shuang had to present herself at the Engagement Banquet. Enough time for Ghost to clear his mind and calm his inner self. The depressing echoes of last nights nightmare was still haunting him.

Habit took over and the Five found himself on the highest roof of one of the main buildings. He welcomed the peace and solitude on the snow covered tiles. Away from people and noise, his mood improved and his edginess melted away. He emptied his mind letting the chilly morning air blow against him. The cold helped him like it always did and his thoughts soon crystallized into acceptable logic. Acceptable to him so that he could make some sense of it.

Zhang Xi Xuan had once again proven himself a friend who could be trusted. He and his sister had taken him in, cared for him and ensured he had not hurt anyone when he was vulnerable. They had prevented him from wrecking havoc. For that, he was grateful. The incident would remain a secret, undisclosed to all except those directly involved. Thank the heavens those were few.

However, Xi Xuan's questions about Xi Xiu had unnerved him.

Ghost could not deny his growing affections for Xi Xiu but concluded he could never have her. Seeing how Xi Xuan was oblivious to the stark truth, it was up to him to keep proper boundaries. Although he felt his heart rebel in his chest, he knew he must try his best not fall in love with her. If he did, he would spread his curse onto her and taint her bright future. It might also affect Xi Xuan and House Zhang.

No, he could never allow that to happen! The Shard nodded to himself, feeling better for clearing that up. Control yourself, don't be selfish. Discipline is key.

Other thoughts then intruded into his mind. Yuan was after Shuang and was not above using vile means to secure her along with her title as daughter of House Zhai. She was not that innocent either since she allowed herself to be seduce by the young Lord. Hopefully she will come to her senses when she sees how much better Xi Xuan is.

Ghost was sure his friend was attractive enough to turn even her head and cater to her selective tastes. Didn't he himself find Xi Xuan alluring just last night ... along with everyone else. Ghost grimaced at the embarrassing memory. He'd just plead ignorance and pretend not to remember anything in front of them. It would be too embarrassing otherwise, he decided.

Once Shuang saw Xi Xuan, everything should go smoothly. Zhang Xi Xuan did not look old. He was tall, handsome and elegant with a mysterious intellectual air about him that would intrigue Shuang. He was also rich and powerful, evident with his luxurious bride gifts for both her and her family.

Ghost shrugged. He had to get his priorities right. It was not his place to tell her what to do. He and Key were just bodyguards. Whatever decision she made for her future was in her own hands. Their job was just to protect her physically and support her.

Ghost sighed. Thank God this mission would be over soon. He and Key could hold on until then. He couldn't wait to go back to the Dark Sect.

When his mind was clear again, the Shard reached for a particular tile. Removing it, he brought out a loosely bound book and a charcoal stick. Taking a moment to arrange his thoughts, he updated his journal. Since he was not free to go to the Blue Peony, he'd add this volume to his stash after the mission.

Almost half an hour went by before the Shard moved from his spot. By then he had regained his inner calm and focus. Feeling more in control, he descended back into society.

-----

Ghost stopped by his room to refresh and change into the Elite's uniform. The two Shards were 'honorary' Elites and should look the part today. Since it was not too flashy, practical and did not hamper movement, he put it on.