Chapter 13 - Lady Shuang

It took less than a week for Lord Zhai to stamp his personal seal on the contract. After agonizing over the decision, he concluded again that it was for the best. After all, it was for only a short period of time and the Shards guaranteed loyalty since they were being paid. As long as they were employed to protect Shuang, she would be safe.

Captain Chiang himself returned the document after waiting for a Shard at the assigned place. He waited for only half an hour before a nondescript woman approached him. He gave her the parchment after she showed her distinctive tattoo as identification.

She did not bother to check the contents. It was not her place to do so. She merely confirmed it was the correct Item and stowed it on her person.

No words were exchanged. None were needed.

The next morning, Ghost and Key reported to House Zhai.

-----

Lady Shuang, the youngest daughter of House Zhai stretched luxuriously on her soft bed. Her fluffy blankets were so nice and warm.

"Ummm, Aaahh!"

"Lady? Would you like to wash and dress now?" a maid asked respectfully.

"A few more minutes ..."

The door to her chambers opened and Lady Lu bustled in with a few more maids.

"Good morning, my Lady," she greeted as she begun her morning routine. She instructed the lesser maids to draw the curtains and begin setting up the mistress' bath.

"The faster you get up and dress, the faster you can have breakfast and meet your new bodyguards. Then you have to attend your studies. Today, we will continue with etiquette and poise. After lunch we will proceed with letters and reading. You should also pay a visit to Lady Huian (eldest sister). She has recovered a bit and would like your company."

Lady Shuang sat up exclaiming. "New bodyguards! About time!! It's been five or is it six whole days since I got rid of the last ones. They were so dull and stupid. I mean, I'm the daughter of House Zhai, surely they have to obey me."

Lady Lu kept quiet. She did not blame the poor guards. The Elite guards were right to deny her mistress's unreasonable demands. Lady Shuang had wanted to see their shiny swords and examine the intricate patterns engraved on them. They had tried to reason with her explaining that their weapons were not toys and were very sharp. Furthermore, they would be defenseless during that time. The Lady had thrown a tantrum and dismissed them on the spot for disobeying her. She claimed they were rude and did not know their place.

Lady Lu had gone to Lady Zhai who in turn spoke to Captain Chiang. He was in charge of security. She did not know what else to do when he admitted to her that he had no more men left for the lady. In the end, Lady Zhai told him to get further instructions from her husband.

Poor Captain Chiang.

Lady Lu had seen the two new bodyguards. They were both very young in her opinion, barely men. They may not even be qualified! Why, they must only be around Lady Shaung's age. She wondered where Captain Chiang got them from and if they were good enough to protect her young charge. Was he so desperate that he obtained random people for the job? No, she chastised herself for her improper thoughts. She should trust him. He was Captain of the House Zhai for a reason. No one would be allowed near Lady Shuang without the approval of both Lord Zhai and Captain Chiang. The bodyguards must be qualified ... still, she had her doubts.

"Did you hear what I said?" asked Lady Lu. "They have been waiting for you to wake up and have been cooling their heels in the receiving chamber for over two hours."