Chapter 16 - Plots

Ghost recovered fully in a week. During that time, he kept his face half covered with his ever present scarf, Shuang's orders. When she went out, he followed behind keeping rear guard. Key guarded her side. When she was indoors, he practically stayed outside, out of her sight.

"Ghost, aren't you going a bit too far?" Key asked.

Ghost shrugged. "I'm still within range."

"I know but I'm left all alone with her. I know I'm handsome but she keeps staring at me and trying to start conversations. It's becoming a bad habit," he sighed. "It's so awkward. I can't take it anymore."

"Better you than me."

Key rolled his eyes and snorted.

"But you are all better now. You look normal again."

"Please, don't tell her. It's easier to guard and keep alert without her constant condescending attitude and pestering," Ghost smirked. "Also, its easier for me to scout the household without my absence being too noticeable."

"Ugh, you are no help at all," Key grumbled then got serious. "Did you find out who was behind it?"

"The bee incident? It was MengYu's orders. The third son of House Zhai has a vicious streak."

"Why would he want to hurt her?"

"He knows her weak points, beauty and position. Since he can't do anything about her birth he can only try to mar her beauty. Without it she would be devastated and useless to House Zhai."

"But why?" Key didn't understand. "Shuang is no threat to him."

"Maybe MengYu is just jealous of all the attention and extra privileges she gets. He is only a little older than her."

"So what? It's only temporary until she marries and leaves the house."

"There is also a rumour circulating among the help, that Lord Zhai will not name either one of his sons as heir after he passes. He is dissatisfied with their merits or lack of them so he is hoping to marry Shuang off to someone more capable of maintaining House Zhai's name and position."

"He wants to give power to an outsider?"

That was unheard of. Any House only passed on power to their biological children to ensure their lineage.

"But what about the family name? He can't hand House Zhai to a non-Zhai family member, can he?" Key asked uncertainly. "Shuang will surely have to take her husband's name not the other way around, right?"

Ghost shook his head. "There is a twist in his plans, his future son-in law is to relinquish his own name and House and take up Zhai's name. Technically he will marry into the family, not the other way round. Shuang gets to keep her family name. Her sons will carry on the Zhai name and lineage."

Xi Xuan had just found that out through his extensive spy network and was furious. Ghost had seldom seen his friend so upset. Lord Zhai must be crazy if he thought he could gaslight or intimidate House Zhang into giving up his family name. If the old veteran thought he could do so due to Xi Xuan's mild scholarly image, he was in for a huge surprise. The Spy Master had immediately started working on counter measures with his trusted advisors. He would surly find a way to avert the pending disaster discreetly. Xi Xuan would be fully prepared when Lord Zhai sprung the additional condition to his marriage. It would not end up well for Lord Zhai, Ghost's bet was on Xi Xuan.

"That is ..." Key shook his head speechless at Lord Zhai's audacity. The Three did not know that Lord Zhai had targeted House Zhang. "Who would be willing to do that? Shuang's potential husbands would be distinguished sons of other Houses right?"