Chapter 29 - Crush

That night, Shuang couldn't sleep. She was too anxious thinking of her future husband arriving the next day. The young maiden was excited for a new life yet furious at being forced to marry someone not of her choosing. Marrying was expected for one of her station to strengthen her House's political power but not to an old boring man! She felt greatly wronged and insulted. However, she was fearful of her father's wrath if she disobeyed him. Was there a way to get out of this predicament? She had yet to meet Lord Zhang but already held a grudge against him.

Her mixed emotions confused her. After tossing and turning in bed for hours she gave up. Sleep was impossible. As quietly as she could, she got out of bed and slipped on her thick fur cloak. The chilly winter night was cold.

The young lady padded over to her favourite maid's bed and peeked behind the painted bamboo screen to check on her. LiQuin was curled up underneath her woolen blankets fast asleep. Only the tails of her long nighttime braids could be seen, the rest of her was hidden in a nest of warm fluff. Poor LiQuin, she must be so tired, thought Shuang. However, she knew that the maid would wake up instantly if she called. She'll let her rest. She smiled at the slumbering girl and tiptoed away.

Shuang made her way to the outer chamber and to the door. Some cool night air would refresh her and take her troubled mind off her looming wedding. Her mouth turned down. No one could know the trauma and stress she was going through. Imagine her beauty and youth wasted on an old nerd! The least comfort was that he was rumoured to be rich and powerful, but how rich and powerful could one be to offset old age and a dreadfully dull character? She wallowed in misery as she pulled up her hood and pushed open the door.

Immediately, the two Elites guarding her door stiffened to attention and Key appeared from nowhere. He hobbled towards her on a sturdy makeshift walking stick. His wounded leg was still mending, but he insisted on doing his duty. He had grown quite proficient with it over the last few days and could move about quite fast.

"Lady Shuang? Is there anything wrong?" asked the Three tensely, his right hand already slipping under his cloak to touch his hidden daggers. Quickly he looked past her to check inside. Everything was quiet. Where was LiQuin? Was there an intruder? How many were there? He could wound up to four or five if they came within range before pulling out his sword. His leg, ahhh ... should he call Ghost?

"No, nothing's wrong. I just can't sleep that's all." said Shuang pulling her thick woolen cloak tighter around her. "I thought maybe some fresh air and a short walk might help."

"Oh," his hand withdrew from his cloak leaving his weapons in place. Key motioned to the Elites and they relaxed at their posts. He would take care of Shuang.

"It's cold out ..."

"I won't be long. It's so stuffy inside."

"O'kay, I'll keep you company."

As long as she stayed within her inner courtyard, he had no problems. If she headed for the outer courtyard, he'd alert Ghost.

"Where's Ghost?" asked Shuang suddenly looking around. She did not see him anywhere.

"He's around," Key replied with a knowing smile.

Ever since her trip to the Moon Goddess Temple, Shuang's infatuation with Ghost had developed into a full blown obsession. Key reasoned it was because the Five had had the misfortune to have caught her in his arms when she stumbled out from her carriage that day. Ghost had been the first person to steady her, giving her a sense of comfort and safety after her harrowing ordeal. His doom was sealed when he allowed the frightened girl to cling onto him while he patiently waited for her to calm down and gather herself.