Chapter 2 - Lady Huang's Warning

Ghost moved back as soon as he finished talking, leaving the Vice-Captain in a happy daze. By the time the two guards noticed their superior, Ghost was already half-way across town.

Now for a more serious mission, a warning message, no killing, at least for now. The last one for tonight.

The Shard made his way to a house at the edge of town. Two matured peach blossom trees grew in the spacious courtyard. It's large branches were bare now as winter was approaching but he was certain it would be a wondrous sight when it was in full bloom and filled the air with sweet fragrance. A real love nest, he grinned.

It had a cosy main house, a servants quarters, kitchen and washing area. The place was gaudily decorated with large stone statues and carvings aimed to flaunt wealth.

The light in the main house was still lighted but dim. The lady inside was known to sleep late, usually singing or playing the Guzheng whilst she waited for her lover. Ghost smiled, well he would not turn up tonight.

She had already dismissed her servants for the night after they had prepared everything. This particular night was going to be special. She would serve her lover personally, enticing him with flirtatious conversation, food and wine. She planned to sing him a lovely new melody of love and commitment. Tonight, she was going to make him promise to marry her and make her a concubine, then she would be set for life.

She had done up her hair carefully in the alluring way he liked and dabbed on expensive hyacinth fragrance. His favourite sweet and spicy scent was guaranteed to arouse him, she giggled in anticipation. He would promise her the moon and stars if she drove him wild with desires. She already knew the best way to tease and play with him. She would withhold until he caved in.

She was humming softly to herself happily tuning her instrument when she felt a hand close over her mouth.

"Scream and your life is forfeit," said a low male voice.

She nodded frantically. Although the hand was removed from her mouth, she felt a sharp blade pressed in warning against her neck. She could not see her assailant who was behind her.

"How did you get in? Where are my guards?"

"I have a message for you ... from Lady Huang," he said ignoring her questions.

"Lady Huang?" she echoed startled. The name sparked anger giving her false courage. "Lord Huang does not love her anymore, he loves only me. He said so ..."

"Shhhh ..." said the voice as the dagger's cold blade pressed more firmly against her throat shutting her up immediately.

"I will deliver her message now. She said," he paused a moment, "... since you have ignored my first warning to stay away from my husband, I will give you a second warning that even someone like you will understand."

"Someone like me? What does that mean? Is she calling me a ...."

"Yes, exactly. You do get it." There was amusement in her assailant's voice.

Lord Huang's mistress bristled. Even this lone intruder was laughing at her, fueling her building anger. Just wait until she called the guards, he wouldn't be laughing then!

"Stupid ugly witch!! Just you wait until Lord Huang marries me!! Then I will have him confine or banish her!!" she hissed vehemently. "Is that it? The message?"

"Yes."

"Really? That's all? Ha, ha, hah!!" she scoffed. "Pffttttt!! She is so pathetic!"

"Do you have anything to say to Lady Huang?"