Chapter 53 - A Clean Break

"But ... !!"

A mix of emotions swept through Lady Shuang.

She felt mortified at her mistake. No! If Lord Zhang did not marry her, she would lose the mansion by the beach! Not to mention all his power, prestige and fortune.

This! Her very first encounter with the coldly handsome Lord Zhang and he was making a fool of her! How dare he! An instant later, annoyance and indignation filled her. Did he think he could just renegade on their marriage arrangement? He MUST marry her! He must!

Irritation turned to schemes to get him back. She was not going to lose that beautiful mansion by the white sands of Baisha. But what was she to do? That's it! All she needed was to say a few words of encouragement to him, toss a few sweet smiles in his direction and turn on her feminine charms. He would not be able to resist falling in love with her! She was the most beautiful maiden in Zinnu. Lord Zhang will be wrapped around her little finger after she was through with him! He'll be begging her to marry him before the night was over!

"Lord Zhang?" Lord Zhai prompted. His eyes were bright and predatory, his mind still reeling at the opportunity to tame two Houses.

"I apologize Lord Zhai, your daughter is right," replied Xi Xuan smoothly.

Lord Zhang bowed his head humbly at the Ruling Lord to hide his rising anger and regain his composure. So much for a future with House Zhai. An amiable dissolution of the deal would have been acceptable. If Shuang had canceled the engagement even with a semi-valid excuse, he would have taken it in stride. The relationship between the two strongest Houses would have been salvaged and they could have remained cordial. BUT this public humiliation in front of all the major Houses was not!!

Furthermore, Xi Xuan had caught the glint in Lord Zhai's eye and the barely concealed excitement in his voice. The snake actually wanted the union with House Yuan! What about the union with House Zhang? Wasn't Lord Zhai the one who orchestrated the joining of their Houses? He was the one who had approached and badgered him in the first place!

Now, he didn't? What in the Nine Heavens had happened since then? Lady Shuang would not, could not go against her father if he commanded her to marry him.

Xi Xuan vowed to find out what had prompted the change, but for now, he would protect his House. Fighting for a loveless marriage with military benefits was not worth the humiliation of his House and the dubious future with an estranged wife and a conniving father-in law. With Lady Shuang's open announcement and outright disparage of him, she had caused irreparable damage between the Houses. He noted that Lord Zhai had not stopped nor chastise his daughter either. If Shuang could get away with this, it meant that Lord Zhai allowed it! Xi Xuan seethed at the implications. His household would never forgive House Zhai's insults even if he did.

It was time to cut ties with House Zhai cleanly. Doing so in public with so many noble witnesses would hold Lord Zhai to it. Although the Ruling Lord had a reputation of being ruthless in meting out 'his' justice, he was also known for being being 'honorable' and 'fair'. His word was his bond, as long as he was not caught breaking it.

Lord Zhai would not be able to dispute nor change his mind later without damaging his honor. Xi Xuan smiled wryly to himself. That was probably why his wily daughter had announced her choice in public too.

Reluctant acceptance of Lord Zhai's initial proposal was due to his persistent badgering and the sudden need for military assistance. However, since his rouge pirate problem had been solved, his need for Zhai's assistance had also disappeared. After that, he had struggled between honoring his deal to marry Lady Shuang or finding an amicable solution to break it off without starting a war. When he could not think of one, he had accepted his fate deciding to make the best of it, convincing himself that he needed to do his duty to produce an heir for his House.