Chapter 32 - Old Zhang

Zhang Xi Xuan sighed and looked up from his scroll. Carefully he replaced his writing brush onto the silver brush holder and studied his work. He had meticulously laid out everything regarding his marriage on the paper in front of him so that he could have an overview of the situation. He must be missing something, he mused as he scrutinized the symbols he had drawn. Having it in black and white might reveal something. He had learn that visual aids often gave a fresh perspective to problem solving.

Unfortunately, everything was proceeding as planned and he had no valid excuse to back out of the marriage. To do so would probably start a civil war and that was not a good idea as the Ruling House had the best and largest military power. It was that very power that had persuaded Father to accept Lord Zhai's incessant proposals for the joining of the two Houses.

Unknown to the outside world, House Zhang had needed the military might of House Zhai to control a powerful tyrant pirate who had appeared and started terrorizing the open seas. The Grey Islands and the local pirates were the only force keeping them at bay. However, the tyrant pirate was growing stronger and more ruthless with every raid. Zinnu was not aware of this as the rest of the Houses had little or no contact with the Straits or the seas beyond.

Fortunately, that problem was being solved now by other means he thought in satisfaction. The need for House Zhai's military strength was no longer a priority. It freed him and allowed him more options for his future.

He had been perfectly willing to proceed with the now unnecessary wedding. After all, he was of marriageable age and Lady Shuang was a catch for any man. That was until their extensive information network had revealed Lord Zhai's scheme to annihilate House Zhang's proud name in the name of a stronger nation. Not only that, he planned to takeover all of their businesses and control of the lucrative straits.

Xi Xuan scoffed, as if it was that easy. Taking over the Grey Straits does not automatically mean control of the pirates who ruled the waters. The relationship and trust levels House Zhang had with the local pirates was a hard earned privilege indeed. One that was reaffirmed with every transaction, action and conduct between the marauders and House Zhang. Luckily, Lord Zhai did not know of their spy network. That would make him even more motivated to conquer and control House Zhang.

"I need an opening. If I can't withdraw maybe ...?"

He sat lost in his thoughts until a low velvety voice spoke behind him.

"She really is pretty if you're having second thoughts ... but she also has a temper."

Zhang Xi Xuan's fan flicked open in an instant and it's sharp edge was at Ghost's exposed throat before he finished speaking. The Shard stayed absolutely still but his dark eyes bored into the tensed noble.

"Xiao Gui! I could have slit your throat!"

"You're too good to make that mistake," Ghost replied simply.

"No, really. You have to keep from sneaking up on me. It's a really bad habit of yours. One of these days I might just accidentally kill you."

"I trust you."

"Captain Zhang is going to be so pissed when he finds out how easily you breached his carefully planned surveillance."

Ghost grinned unrepentant. "The good Captain is getting better and more creative," he admitted. "But I wanted to welcome you personally. Your entrance this morning was very grand. I don't think anyone noticed anything out of the ordinary."

"But you did."

Ghost shrugged. "It's always good to be alert in enemy territory. You can never be more careful," he remarked referring to all the disguised fighters his friend had brought with him.