Chapter 40 - Schemes

Both Li Guang and Chu Feng looked up from their game as their furious friend stormed into the pavilion. They were gambling at the secluded spot as betting games and activities were frowned upon by their respective Houses.

"Hey Shun Xi, why are you so angry?"

Lord Yuan sat down in a huff and banged his fist on the circular wooden table. The flames burning in the nearby brazier flickered wildly for a moment and the gambling sticks and snack plates jumped into the air. Chu Feng lurched to save a bottle of hot spicy wine when it almost hopped over the table's edge. It would be such a waste if it broke!

"It's Shuang's two meddling bodyguards. I swear they are worse than pesky horseflies! Always around when they are not wanted! So irritating!" he growled. "I have to get rid of them before they ruin my plans."

"What did they do?"

"They are filling her head with nonsense, reminding her of her upcoming marriage and her stupid duties to her House. They are literally sabotaging me!"

"Awww, c'mon Shun Xi, they are just being good little bodyguards and doing their job," Chu Feng laughed. "If they get through to her, maybe I won't lose my silver yuanbao to Li Guang after all."

"I'm serious! They told her that I'm trouble and to stay away from me. That I'll be the cause of a scandal Hosue Zhai can't afford."

"Well, they're not wrong ..."

"I mean, Shuang just told me that they know about our bet! She had the gall to ask me if I really loved her or if I just wanted to win."

"What?! How did they know about our bet?"

"That's what I want to know!!" Shun Xi scowled.

"What did you say?"

"I don't know how they found out but I denied it of course. She was all upset. I had to spend over two hours calming her down and persuading her of my love."

"Getting rid of Lady Shuang's bodyguards will be easy," remarked Li Guang. "I saw them yesterday following her. They are both cripples."

"Seriously?" asked Chu Feng interested in the gossip.

"Yup, one had a walking staff and was limping and the other had a bandaged hand. They're no problem. I bet we can easily handle them."

"What kind of useless bodyguards are those?" wondered Chu Feng. "I would be embarrassed if I had them protecting me."

Chu Feng looked over to Shun Xi for confirmation. His friend's scowl deepened and he crossed his arms over his broad chest.

"Yeah, it's true. I swear I'll kill them both If they interfere one more time especially that small one!"

"Better not," cautioned Li Guang. "There are too many soldiers and you know Lord Zhai's Elites are always around the family."

Shun Xi made a face. "Then I will have no other choice. I will have to force Lady Shuang's hand and choose me herself. I will not let them get in my way."

"How are you going to do that?"

Shun Xi dug a small porcelain bottle from his belt and held it up. A sly smile stretched his lips.

"With this."

-----

Key clenched his jaw in annoyance but kept his peace. He glanced at Ghost. The Five was keeping his irritation hidden better him and was staring straight ahead. However, his stiff posture betrayed his aggravation.

Lady Shuang was sitting opposite Lord Yuan again. Despite their best attempts at persuading her not to meet the young Lord, she was defiant. He was the only one who understood her and could offer her comfort. She felt stifled by everyone else who seemed so controlling, curtailing her freedom and always dictating to her what to do and how to behave.