Chapter 26 - Moon Goddess Temple Part 2

Sweet incense filled the large halls and the soft chantings of many devotees resonated throughout the large temple. It gave a very peaceful and calming effect. Somewhere a loud gong sounded several times signaling some daily routine of the Moon Goddess temple residents.

The nuns selected to assist and accompany Lady Shuang for her prayers were already waiting for her when she arrived. The others who were not involved went about their daily regimes inconspicuously. The noble lady was led to the main statue of the Moon Goddess in the central chambers. Beneath the deity, flat round cushions were placed at intervals for the devotees. Other devotees and visitors to the temple would use the smaller side chambers for the time being.

Shuang knelt in the middle, on the cushion directly before the Goddess. Today, she was the main focus. Madam Shao and LiQuin knelt on either side of their young mistress. Six other nuns arranged themselves on the cushions behind them. They would accompany her day long prayer and attest to her piety and devotion, asking their revered Goddess to grant her request for a good marriage, a loving husband and many, many filial children to carry on her proud linage.

Shuang turned back for a quick look. She was distracted again. Where was Ghost? Noticing her action, the Shard moved from the back to stand unobtrusively at the side, within Shuang's peripheral vision but at a respectable distance from the prayer group. It would not do to have her turning every so often to check on him.

Xin took note of his subtle move and nodded approvingly at the bodyguard. At least the Shard knew his social boundaries, thought the Elite. Madam Shao should speak to her charge after this to remind her firmly once again of her duties. Lady Shuang didn't seem to care about her unseemly behavior, but she should restrain herself for the sake of House Zhai's reputation.

"Thank you," he mouthed silently. He was glad to see that Ghost was taking pains to cover his Mistress's mistakes. The Shard was actually protecting her reputation as well as her life.

No problem, the bodyguard gestured back.

Maybe he wasn't so bad after all, thought Xin. Like all Elites, Xin's loyalty was primarily to House Zhai and in particular to Lord Zhai. If Lady Shuang did anything to ruin Lord Zhai, his true master, she would not have any Elites to count on.

When Shuang saw Ghost, she heaved a sigh of relief and smiled. He tilted his head acknowledging her, then moved his gaze away. Right, she thought. He was telling her that he was there and would protect her. He did not smile back but that was o'kay. She understood he did not want the others to see that he favoured her.

A gong sounded and a senior nun walked in carrying a xianglu (incense burner). She chanted prayers as she walked among the kneeling devotees swinging the xianglu on its metal chain. Thick fragrant jasmine, rose and agarwood enveloped them all. The white scented smoke was believed to get rid of negative energies and spirits whilst encouraging new positive ones. When she completed the opening ritual, she placed the xianglu at the front alter. Wispy white tendrils of sweet smelling smoke continued to curl up as the senior nun started the ceremony.

"Merciful Moon Goddess, today a young woman is here to request your blessings for a good future and marriage. Please hear her prayers," the senior nun intoned.

"Please hear her prayers ..." echoed the kneeling nuns.

"Please grant her a good husband and many beautiful filial children."

"... many beautiful filial children."

"This union will bind two great Houses in Zinnu. For the good of our land, may You bless them with love and health, O great Goddess ..."