39. Gods

Art by @imissmymcdog on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Sir, the skeletons in the kingdom are getting out of hand. They might be preparing for a war," Purpled says to Dream. He drops into a bow in front of Dream's throne.

"Hmmm, where are the skeletons most concentrated?" Dream rests his head against his hand.

"In the forest, people are afraid to go in there and we believe that their king is also there since we caught a glimpse of a golden crown," he reports.

"I'll go with a squad of knights investigate this myself," Dream reassures him.

"Thank you sir," Purpled says bowing as he leaves the throne room.

Y/N was away visiting Phil and Techno in the North.

Should I really go without her?

Hey love, he asks.

It takes a while for the message to reach her but after a few seconds she responds back.

Yes?

There have been reports of large numbers of skeletons in the forest. We believe they're preparing for war. I'm taking Sam, Sapnap, Bad, Punz, and HBomb with me and we're going to investigate.

Be careful. You never know what they could do.

They're skeletons. They can't be that dangerous.

Strength in numbers Dream, there could be millions of them.

I'll be fine don't worry love.

Okay stay safe.

Have fun with Phil and Techno.

Dream sighs and he gets off the throne and heads for his room. They'll leave at dawn tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

North

Phil glances at the letter she put under his plate while setting the table.

Meet me outside, midnight. I slipped a sleeping potion into Techno's drink. Burn this as soon as possible.

Phil locks eyes with her and nods. Techno sits down and they enjoy their meal, talking and exchanging jokes.

"God I feel so tired," Techno says standing up. "I'm going to bed early."

"I might as well too," Phil says and walks upstairs. He waits for the sound of Techno's breathing to be steady before putting on his armor and heading out the door.

Y/N stands in front of the cow farm, the snow leaving a white dusting on her glimmering, purple netherite.

"What is it Y/N?" Phil asks once they're outside.

"How were you revived?" she asks. "It wasn't Dream using the revival book so how were you revived?"

Phil freezes in place as his hand drops behind his back to nervously play with the other.

Y/N frowns and crosses her arms as she waits.

DreamXD told me about this after I asked. He told me the Goddess of Death, Kristin, fell in love with Phil and once he died, she was happy to have him in the land of the dead. He requested to go back and she allowed him on one condition, he had to get a skull tattoo which allowed her to communicate in his head at all times. Will Phil tell me the truth?

"Uhhhh— I don't really know how, I mean—" Phil starts.

Phil, Kristin's voice is immediately in his head. Come up with a lie. You can't tell her.