Second Heart Beat

Enjoy reading! 

"Emma!" Kusang napalingon si Macey sa direksyon ng pamilyar na boses. She immediately saw Kaiden, and she suddenly felt relieved to see him, walking towards her, even she doesn't know what he's up to. Kaiden gave her a small string to distract herself, and let her breath.

Distraction. 

Naramdaman niyang natigilan 'din ang tao sa likod niya, at napalingon kay Kaiden. She can almost hear his heavy breathing, as if stopping himself. Hindi na siya nakarinig ng kahit ano mula kay Jaxon na siyang ipinagpasalamat niya, but she's not that dumb that he's expecting her to look back.

Like she always did...

But no.

She already learned her lesson.

She will never look back.

For him.

"Are you going home? Where are your friends?" Attorney Kaiden reached her. Nakangisi ito sa kaniya na para bang nagmamayabang, at kailangan yukuan ng kahit sinong makaka-kita sa kaniya. Malalim siyang huminga bago inayos ang pagkaka-karga kay Chloe. Pakiramdam niya ay malalaglag na ang batang karga kung hindi niya lang tatatagan ang sarili. She's starting to tremble, but she's trying her hardest to look at Attorney Kaiden's gold eyes.

She's not alone.

Even Kaiden was just someone she knew, a mayor from the city where she stayed years ago with Candace, she felt like he's someone that could accompany her, even just a little bit.

"Why are you so pale?" Attorney Kaiden suddenly asked, even before she could answer. Nang-aasar ang boses nito sabay pasimpleng tingin nito sa likod niya. 

"H-huh?" napakurap siya. Saktong humangin kaya bigla siyang nakaisip ng palusot. "Malamig. Di ka mamumutla pag giniginaw ka?"

"Does that even make sense, Emma?"

Hindi na siya sumagot. She already knew why she's pale. It's not because of the cold wind. It was because of the man behind her, staying still like a statue. Alam niyang nandoon pa si Jaxon dahil nanatili ang tingin ni Attorney Kaiden doon.

"Bakit ka nandito?" Macey asked to divert the topic, but  she didn't hear any response, when Attorney Kaiden finally looked behind her, plastering his jerky smile.

"Skyler." Attorney Kaiden's voice sounded dangerous all of sudden. His dangerous tone reminded her of Jaxon's voice years ago. Cold. Firm. Stoic.

"Hey." She heard Jaxon's voice, and she flinched because of it.

Tangina.

"Are you waiting for someone here?" Attorney Kaiden asked.

"No." Jaxon answered.

"Oh," Attorney Kaiden chuckled. Parang nang-aasar ang tawa nito o sadyang ganon lang talaga. Matagal na 'rin simula nang makasama niya si Attorney Kaiden, at siguro ay hindi na siya sanay. Tanging nagpapa-alala na lang sa kaniya ay ang kaalamang mayabang ito, at nakaka-gago ang ugali.

Unang kita pa lang namin noon e.

Jaxon didn't answer him. Of course. He wouldn't. He won't waste a single saliva just for petty conversation that doesn't even make sense—and even with sensible, and important things, he won't—he will never waste a single saliva to talk. To participate in any conversation.

"Uhm, alis na ako—" she moved her feet to step away from the scene when Attorney Kaiden held her still. She was stunned because of his actions. Tiningala niya ang lalaking humarang sa kaniya pero tanging mabilisang ngisi lang ang ibinigay nito sa kaniya bago muling kinausap si Jaxon.