Forty Third Heart Beat

Macey's gaze keeps on her side mirror. Mas madalas yata siyang tumingin sa side mirror niya kaysa sa mismong daan. If she's not just being careful and attentive enough, she would surely bump into someone's car during this drive. She thought that her mind is just playing games with her but no.

With Jaxon's message with the phone she's holding right now, as well as the SUV just right behind her, tailing her constantly, she's already sure enough that it's Jaxon.

Nakita na niya e.

Napapikit na lang siya. Then, she startled when her phone rang. It's like she was pulled out of her reverie. Napatingin siya sa phone niya. Dahil doon, nawala ang tingin niya sa daan. She lessened her speed, and checked her phone. Kaiden is calling her.

"Emma." Iyon ang bungad ni Kaiden sa kaniya. Ngayon lang ulit tumawag si Kaiden. Their last exchange of message was when she's an hour away from her house. Now, she's already half-way to her destination. Ngayon niya lang naalala na kailangan niyang mag-update kay Kaiden.

She wanted to bang her head on her steering wheel. She's been too occupied. Idagdag pa na nakasunod sa kaniya si Jaxon. She's not sure if that's because they have the same destination, which is in the precinct, or he's following her because of what happened last night.

Pero para saan ang text nito sa kaniya?

That's just...useless.

"I'm just hours away, Kai." She made her voice steady. She's trying to focus. She couldn't fuck up now. She put all of her heart and effort for this to happen. Her personal issues shouldn't interfere with her work. Not even Jaxon. Not even Kaiden.

"Now, I'm getting worried. Where are you exactly?" he said. His voice was too serious that made Macey more guilty. "Did Jaxon do something?"

"No." Mabilis niyang sagot. Napapikit siya sandali. She can feel her hands sweating because she's suddenly terrified. She doesn't know why. She's lying. She's starting to lie once again. She's starting to feel these awful emotions inside of her that she shouldn't be feeling.

And she's guilty.

Kaiden's obviously worried of her but here she is, did something with Jaxon behind his back. When she knows to herself what are her decisions. When she knows to herself that it's Kaiden.

Well, it's Kaiden.

She's sure of it, not until last night. Not until Jaxon messed with her head and gave her back the feeling of doubtfulness. Holding her back, for her not to be able to take another step forward. At that single thing he did, with their short conversation last night, he was able to shove her back... he was able to give her the glimpse of the old path she's taking.

The path towards him.

"Macey, are you there?" Kaiden's voice filled her ears. She blinked, and she almost...almost bumped in another car before hers. She let out a small gasp, and her heart thundered in fear and panic.

I shouldn't be driving.

This is bad.

Napatingin siya sa bag niya. Her medicine, even she doesn't want to bring it, is inside her bag. In case something happens. In case that she won't be able to handle herself. In case she needs to be dependent on it.

Napakurap siya. She can feel it forming inside of her. She looked on the side, and send a signal on her car. Unti-unti, iginilid niya ang sasakyan niya. Unaware that Kaiden is still on the line.

"Macey." Kaiden invaded her ears once again.

"Sorry!" she said in urgency, and reached for her bag. Kinuha niya ang gamot niya, at ang bote na nasa cup hole. "I'm okay, Kai! I'll see you there. Okay?"