Thirty Fourth Heart Beat

"How's the XP patient?" Macey asked when she's already in the VIP ward. She still has two hours before her surgery and she's doing her rounds before she goes inside the operating room. She will be there almost a day so she needs to finish other works.

And before she leaves for Pangasinan tomorrow, she will need to have a meeting with Fran for the updates since her secretary is being hands-on to their medical mission. It excites Fran so she's letting her be. Hindi naman nito napag-iiwanan ang ibang trabaho.

"We were able to stabilize her, Miss Macey..." sagot ng nurse.

Tumango siya at binasa ang patient chart. She saw Jaxon's name as one of her attending doctors. Naalala niya ang tungkol sa sinabi nito. Ang paghingi ng tulong kay Declan. He's one of the brilliant scientists so she wanted to count on that one.

She must ask Bryson... but...

She sighed.

Fine.

"Okay, thank you..." she said before leaving. Dumiretso siya sa elevator. She fisted out her phone from her pocket to check if Kaiden left her a message but there's none. Sabagay, katatawag lang sa kaniya kaninang umaga. Until she found herself in the contacts, and saw Jaxon's...contact ID.

Should I call him for that?

That'd be too personal.

Umiling na siya at pinatay ang phone. She went straight to the cardio department and checked on the nurse station. "Good Morning..."

"Good morning, miss Macey!" bati ng nurse sa kaniya. Ang ngiti nito ay parang may kakaibang sinasabi pero hindi na lang niya pinansin.

Napakamot siya sa sentido niya. "Uh, where's Dr. Skyler?"

Napakurap ang nurse, at nagpigil ng ngiti. Macey already knew what's that smile for. Ngumiti na lang siya pabalik. It's an awkward smile yet, indirect warning that it's not what is it. Pero kahit kasi siya, kinakabahan sa ginagawa.

"Uh, nasa ER po siya ma'am. May emergency patient po. Baka magtagal..." sagot nito. Parang gusto pang dagdagan ang sinabi.

Tumango siya. "Ah, thank you..."

"Tawagan ko po?" the nurse suggested giddily.

"Hindi na." mabilis niyang tanggi. "Pupunta na lang ako roon..."

She went straight ahead to the emergency room. It's busier than the usual when she entered but she can see that every patient is being attended to. May kasabay pa siya sa elevator papunta rito. Macey was at eased on that before she looked around to look for Jaxon.

"Yes, Miss Macey?" tanong ng nurse. Hindi niya alam kung may telepathy ba ang mga nurse rito o sadyang... may alam lang talaga. She's familiar with some faces but she's not sure. Really.

"Uh, si Dr. Skyler—"

"Nandito po!" may kumaway na lalaking nurse sa kabilang direksyon. Nasa labas ito ng isang cubicle at may hawak na patient chart. Ngising aso sa kaniya na para bang tuwang-tuwa pa.

She awkwardly smiled. "Okay, hintayin ko na lang..."

But before she could settle herself, the cubicle beeped, and it opened. Iniluwa no'n si Jaxon. The nurses around the ER glanced secretly at the both of them before continuing their work. Ganoon 'din ang ibang doctor. Then, she caught Jaxon's pitch-black eyes, surprised and confused at her sudden appearance, looking for him.

Kinabahan siya nang lumakad papalapit si Jaxon sa kaniya. He paused for a bit. Nagbilin sa nurse bago tumuloy sa paglalakad papunta sa direksyon niya. Inaayos ang stethoscope sa batok. His white coat was awfully clean and complemented with his blue scrubs. Iyon ang palaging suot ni Jaxon na nakikita niya. Ang huling casual clothes ay sa gender reveal pa yata.