Twenty Fourth Heart Beat

"Macey!"

She felt no pain at all—or she felt numb.

Her eyes burnt as she locked—as she remained her eyes locked with Jaxon whose eyes widened in fear, and surprise. Para bang nawala ang mundo sa paligid nilang dalawa, at tanging sila lang ang naroon. She can feel her heart beating. Every beat of it. She can feel—she can hear it.

Jaxon...

She slowly felt the wetness running down her legs. Macey snapped, and break down the eye contact until she looked down. Her legs almost gave in when she saw blood dripping down the grounds, staring to pool near their shoes. Nanlamig ang katawan ni Macey habang nanghihinang humigpit ang hawak sa balikat ni Jaxon. She's almost hugging him, silently.

Humigpit ang hawak ni Jaxon sa kaniya, pero ramdam na ramdam niya ang pagpupumilit ng lakas ng binata. When her gaze moved at her side, that's when she saw it. Doon na siya tuluyang natauhan at tila ba bumalik sa reyalidad ang utak at katawan niya.

Bumalik ang mga mata niya kay Jaxon. Nanatili ang tingin nito sa kaniya.

"Jaxon..." she whispered but he just gave her a weak smile, until someone pulled her away from Jaxon.

It was Kaiden.

Hindi niya magawang tignan ang binata. It was all focused-on Jaxon, as she was full of worry and fear as she stared at his hand.

"Macey! Ayos ka lang?!" Mabilis na lumapit ang mga kaibigan niya sa kaniya, at nauna na roon si Bryson na tumingin din kay Jaxon, bago bumaba ang tingin nito sa kamay ng kaibigan.

She's okay, but Jaxon...

He caught the knife, just right in time. With his bare hands. His palm surrounded with the sharpness of the knife.

His hand... Jaxon's hand...

Few inches before her waist, after a few second, with his fast reflexes even she already ran to cover him from the assault of Kaiden. As if there was something in his movement that even she's already protecting him, he couldn't be late at all and took the fight even it's just mere seconds that anyone would waste.

"Macey! Macey! Ayos ka lang?!" tawag sa kaniya ulit pero hindi niya magawang sumagot. Para siyang napipi at ang tanging alam niya lang ay ang tignan si Jaxon. Just to make sure he's okay. That he's fine... yet, she's still worried.

He caught the knife with his bare hands. Ang dugong nakikita niya ay kay Jaxon. Ang tumulong dugo sa paa niya ay kay Jaxon. He used himself to protect her even she did it first.

Jaxon...

But then, someone caught her face, held it and it made her gaze settled to a set of golden eyes. Namumutla at halata ang takot, at pagkataranta sa mukha nito. There's no any evident cockiness and pride in it. Ang tanging nakikita niya... nangingibabaw ang pag-aalala.

His familiar worried face that made her heart ache, and angry at the same time because of what he did. Hindi niya alam ang unang iisipin, at mararamdaman. Slowly, her mind started to be hazy once again. Napakapit ang mga nanlalamig niyang mga kamay kay Kaiden—sa pulso nito.

"Emma, are you okay?" he asked softly. "I'm sorry...fuck."

The drips of blood, his bloody hands, tightly gripping the knife that should have been in her body. Her breathing slowly hitched at that. She can feel her heart beating loudly, out of rhythm. Out of something. She can't control it. Malalim siyang napalunok at pinapakalma ang sarili. Suddenly, the fear slowly consumed her—worry. The fear of losing someone again. The fear of losing Jaxon... of losing someone for the second time even she already sacrificed herself. All of her.