No Weapon

Callie POV-

It was the night before the trial for my sexual assault case. And I have to admit, I was nervous. I was sick really. I hadn't seen Prof. Jordan since that day, and to face him tomorrow, I couldn't predict how my body would react.

I had the support of my entire family behind me. My mother, father, my uncle August, and my wonderful aunt Amber who was my attorney who I trusted with my life. My boyfriend Quincy, who had been with me every step of the way. My cousins Morgan,  Auggie, Assata.

But out of all of the bunch I only wanted one person to spend this night with me— my bestfriend Amiri. I know he's my cousin, but really truly Miri is my bestfriend in the whole world.

He gets on my nerve and he's over silly, but since I'm the only child he's the closest I got to a sibling. And although he's only a few months older than me, I do look up to him as an older brother.

He may not know everything but one thing he does know is how to make me laugh. And thats what I needed right now, laughter with my bestfriend.

I laughed so hard as Miri sang, awfully might I add, the words to Beyonce's- Me, Myself and I. Me and him decided to get a private room at this Karoke Bar in town. My father paid for it and dropped us off.

"Me, myself and I...I must have cried a thousand times..." Miri cackled on the mic in our Karoke room. I recorded him with my phone to put on IG, because people needed to hear how awful he was.

I laughed and posted it to my IG story.

"Tell the people I do birthday parties and weddings." He added as he finished up his cackling.

"That's enough." I took the mic and started up my song.

"You not finna do better than me." He said salty and sat down eating some of the wings we order.

"Time on my hand...
Since you been away boy...
I ain't got no plans..." I sung Mary's I'm Going Down, pretty perfect I might add.

"Booooooo..." Miri threw a napkin at me as he smacked on the wings.

"Grow up!" I said and ignored him and continued singing.

He  booty bumped me out the way and tried to sing my song. I booty bumped him back and continued to sing. It became an all out war of us bumping each other back and forth singing this song with all we had.

We ended up on the floor laughing, and I don't know my laughter turned to tears. Even the fun I was having with Miri could not mask the immense pain and fear I felt about tomorrow.

I just remember being so excited about college, only for this to happy to me. Me, who tries to do everything right and treat everyone just.

Miri held me and I cried into his chest. So many emotions were running through me. I had ruined what was supposed to be our fun night.

"I'm sorry." I mustered up the words.

He pulled my head up and looked in my eyes. He didn't say anything though. I saw traces of tears in his eyes but they didn't fall.

Instead he reached in his pocket and handed me a small box.

I wiped my eyes. "What is this?"

"Open it." He said with a serious face, that was rare for an overall jovial Miri.

I opened it and I was in awe at what I saw. It was a gold necklace in the form of a nail. And on it, it had engraved Isaiah 54:17.

"No weapon formed against you shall prosper. And you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord. And this is their vindication from me." Miri said from memory.

Miri as we know wasn't big into the bible. He went to church when his parents made him, and the only bible verses he knew were those he made up.

"Church isn't really my thing. You know that. But after that happened to you, and seeing how you still loved God made me wonder- what was so great about him? That even in your heart, you still loved him. And I thought maybe I should know him too. Cause for you to do that, he must be great." Miri finally mustarded a smile.

Well that just made me cry harder.

"Dammit Cals." Miri's tears started to fall.

"Sorry." I chuckled and wiped my eyes.

"Do you notice its a nail?" He asked.

"Yes I did." I looked at it.

"I talked to Quincy. Apologized for how I acted toward him and told him thank you for having your back. He told me he told you that even Jesus who did only good, was nailed to a cross, but it didn't end there. And so I got that nail necklace as a reminder that weapons form, just like the nails did with Jesus. But they didn't hold him to the cross. He rose again. And you will too. Your nails won't hold you there."

I looked in amazement at my cousin who is usually so silly and immature, just gave me the greatest words of encouragement I needed in my life at this moment.

I grabbed him into a big bear hug. He laughed but hugged me back super tight.

"I love you so much Miri. Like I don't say it enough, but you are like a brother to me. I know we're cousins, but you're the closest thing I have to a sibling. And I'm grateful you're my family." I began to cry again.

"I know I give you a hard time. And I know I have Assata and Auggie, but I feel the same way. You're actually a hero to me Cals. I hope I can be as nearly a good person as you are." He smiled at me.

"Today proved you already are." I smiled back at him.

"May I pray for you?" He asked.

"Sure." I said super surprised.

"Now I'm not no TD Jakes, just so you know. So if he don't answer it ain't my fault." He joked.

"Just pray silly." I rolled my eyes.

We bowed our head.

"Dear God, thank you for my cousin Callie. May you be with her every step of the way and help her to heal through all this. May you help my mom, defend her well and win her case. May this entire process strengthen both of our faith in your power to not allow weapons to prevail against us. In Jesus name, we pray. Amen."

"Amen." I gave him one final hug.

I was now ready to face tomorrow.
—————-

Omg y'all I know its been forever, life has been super busy. But I want you all to know I haven't forgotten about you, and I am so grateful for those still on the journey. ❤️❤️