Stopping My Shine

In order they appear Auggie, Amiri and Assata

A3 POV-

"Ma this shit not right man."

"Excuse me?" My mother whipped her neck around so fast, I was sure she would have whiplash later.

"Don't get common with me boy."
She hit me upside my head.

I sighed and tucked my lip, watching her as she continued to rant around he kitchen.

"Don't you ever think it's okay to curse at me, with me or around me. You ain't gon never be that grown I don't care how old yo ass is."
She slammed the fridge door.

"Ma calm down. I'm sorry. All I'm saying is Miri is a freshmen. Why can't he live in the dorms?"

"Because he's going to live with you and that's the end of it. Why would we pay for the dorm when we bought you a whole condo, that you pay not a penny for."

"But it's my senior year Ma. I want to be able to move around without being responsible for him."

"Nobody's asking you to be responsible for him."

"Y'all say that but that's not what y'all expect. I went to college to get away from him not live with him."

"August get out my face." My mother said chopping some onions.

"So you not gon even listen to my point of view? My opinion doesn't count?"

"No it doesn't. Goodbye." She said not even looking up continuing to cook dinner.

"I swear man. Y'all did this on purpose." I left out the kitchen angry and hopped in my car.

My entire life I have been responsible for Amiri's ass. Every since he been here.

Y'all Alsina Boys, look out for each other my pops would say.

I'm going somewhere for my birthday, they make this nigga come along cause it's his too.

I'm going out, take his ass too. Walk him to school. Drive him to school.

And finally with college I got away, but now out of the five schools he got accepted to they sending him to Howard just like me.

Like why couldn't he take his ass to the family school UPenn!!

My pops went there. My cousins Chay, Nonnie, Kay and my older sister Assata who graduated from law school there last year.

I chose to go somewhere different because I wanted to get away from this family not be around them. And then they sending my cousin Callie, my uncle Boobie and Auntie Stacy's daughter there! Why can't her and Miri get an apartment, instead of having they asses stuck with me.

I'm a senior I don't feel like spending my time babysitting they ass.

I went to see the one person who understood me. My bestfriend.

"Is Assata in her office?" I asked the reception at the desk.

"You are?"

"Her brother."

"Let me call and see." She dialed and number. "Hi Assata your brothers here to see you. Ok. I'll send him right in."

"Thank you." I told the lady and went through the double doors to Sata's office.

She had got a job after graduation back here as a Divorce attorney.

"Hey baby boy." She got up from behind her desk and hugged me.

"Just so you know I'm dropping out of school." I said sitting in the desk across from her.

"What?" She laughed sitting back down.

"I'm serious yo." I slouched back in the chair.

"Daddy will kick your ass."

"At this point I don't care. You know they got Callie and Amiri living with me ?"

"I know. Mommy told me. I tried to tell her that was not a good idea that you deserve your freedom."

"And what she say? Well your dad. Well your dad. Well your dad." I mocked my mothers voice. "She always goes along with whatever he says. Like think for yourself."

"This was actually her idea. You know how she is about Miri."

"Her favorite." We said together and rolled our eyes.

"And she swears up and down he's not." Assata shook her head.

"I have no favorites." I mocked my mothers voice.

"Stop." Assata laughed. "Miri's the baby."

"The Nigga is 18. It's time to stop babying him. Let me be your assistant so I can make some money once I drop out."

"Boy, I would never hire you." She put a file on her bookshelf.

"Why? I am the perfect candidate."

"Auggie please. you're irresponsible."

"Psh. Please."

"Have you even made a list of law schools you want to attend?"

"Yeah."

She gave me a stale face.

"Get off my back I'll get to it."

"Okay now you don't get in, you know daddy is never going to let you hear the end of it."

"Yeah, yeah." I waived her off. "Let me stay with you and O the rest of summer break. I can't take that house."

"That's a negative. Wedding planning."

"How is me staying with you stopping your wedding planning?"

"I don't know it sounded like a good excuse."

I stale faced her.

"Sata you suppose to be on my side. "

"I am. " she laughed.

"This shit is so messed up. His ass always stopping my shine." I shook my head.

Assata laughed. "Stopping your shine?"

"Yes. He's a like a damn mosquito like go live your own damn life."

"Auggie he just looks up to you." She laughed. "I think it's cute."

"Don't play with me Assata." I looked at her serious.

"Tell you what, I will retalk to them. " she rubbed my head.

"Aight."

"Now go. I have a client meeting in five."

"If they don't change they mind imma be your assistant for the rest of my life." I got up.

"And I will gladly direct you to the unemployment offices." She pushed me out the door.

They generally listen to Sata, let's hope they do this time.