My Babies Will Live

Assata POV-

"Ma what do you have on?" I looked at this oversized floppy hat and glasses my mother wore to brunch like she was some diva.

"What does it look like?" She sat down.

"You can't see a thing with that mess on your head." I laughed.

"Ha-ha-ha." She said unamused as she put her purse on the seat next to her.

My mother was in her fifties now and she was still as beautiful and as young as ever. Chasing after Auggie and Amiri kept her that way. They were characters, my brothers whom I adored, but characters nonetheless.

I set brunch dates with my mother every other Saturday, just to have girls time so she could get out of that house full of testosterone with all the guys.

Between my dad and my brothers, I don't see how she did it. They were all spoiled men children if you asked me.

My dad in 40s acting like he's the freaking old one, always calling on her like he can't do anything for himself.

Amiri always under her.

And Auggie oh God. Him and my mother have the bipolarest -
I don't think that's a word but I'm using it, relationship I've seen. They argue and fight more than anybody in the house. Yet two seconds later, he will be up under her.

He's at my house right now, just waiting for my mother to call him to come back.

He's going to act like he doesn't want to, then hop in his car and ride back there.

They'll argue. Him - talking about how she doesn't understand or listen. Her -that he needs to get it together before the real world hits because he's not going to always have parents there for him.

He'll apologize and start crying. And they'll be back besties. 😒

So don't believe what Auggie says. He over exaggerates everything to put himself in a good light. He's my bff yup, but I'm giving you the real.

I have never seen men more attached to a woman as they were to my mother. If I was a woman, I wouldn't date either one of them. Their spoiled mama's boys, who will expect the same from their wife. 

"Can I start you guys off with something to drink?" The waiter came to our table.

"May I have a glass of the Merlot?" My mother said.

"Of course and for you ma'am?"

"The strawberry lemonade."

"Great I'll be back with your drinks." He smiled and walked away.

"Auggie is at my house in case you're worried."

"I think I'm going to get this grilled chicken and Cesar salad." She ignored me flipping through the menu.

I heard Beyonce's voice in my head. "I know you care." Because although she was acting like she didn't, she did.

"He left these things." My mother handed me a bag as she continued to look through the menu.

It was neatly folded clean clothes, she obviously washed this morning and some of his favorite snacks. Right he left it? Did he leave it or you pack it mama? 😒

I rolled my eyes mentally. I can't with their relationship. I can't.

Auggie called my phone. I picked up.

"Hey Auggie." I looked to see if my mother had a reaction, she didn't. She just kept looking through the menu.

"Mama there?"

"Yes she is. You want to talk to her."

"No I'm done. She kick out her own  like he some trash in the street and then hit him like that? no. I'm done. I don't need her." He said loudly so she could hear him through the phone.

"So why are you calling me then when you know we're here?"

"Because I was asking about where you keep your towels?"

"In the  linen closet where they always are." He was waiting on me to say "Mama wants to speak to you."

And she was waiting on me to say, "Auggie wants to speak to you."

They were both painfully stubborn and irritating. 😩

"Okay Auggie I got to go."

"She didn't even ask to speak to her own son? She doesn't even care whether I'm alive or dead?"

"Goodbye August." I hung up.

"So he didn't even call to apologize huh?" My mother finally closed her menu.

"Mama you busted him in the mouth."

"Assata we pay over 20 thousand dollars per year for your brother to go to school. That's 60 thousand so far. 80 this coming semester and he shows his gratitude by getting put on academic probation with a 1.8 gpa Assata. I called the school. 1.8. If he doesn't raise it up, he will not graduate. So yes, I'm angry as hell. Raising two black boys is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. In this world, my goal as a mother is to get them to the prime of their adulthood alive. I refuse to have anybody call me on my phone and tell me either one of them are in the grave or jail. So yes, if I have to knock the life into them, before the world shoots them to their death I will. My babies are going to live Sata. They going to live." She took off her glasses and wiped her ready eyes.

I was not arguing with my mother on that. It was hard for black girls yes, but my mother and father had done their part with me. And now with my brothers and the temptations that come with black malehood - peer pressure, violence both by those who look like them and the police, it was a rough world. And I understood why she was  sohard. Particularly on Auggie who always seem to find himself in mess. Always. Whether he's the cause or not. My mother still doesn't know they weren't his drugs, he kept his loyalty to his friend. Not wanting to put him out there.

My mother has caught Auggie with weed. Having sex in our house. My mother told him he couldn't go to prom as punishment for something he did I forgot what it was, he snuck out and went anyway. I mean, he's not an angel. Don't let his angelic face and sweet words fool you as many women fall victim. 😂

I honestly don't know what it would take for him to grow up and mature. Because he wasn't dumb by a long shot. He took the law school exam and got a perfect score. Do you know how hard that is? I barely got in the majority. Auggie's just lazy and uninspired. That's why I try to show compassion and not be demanding and nagging. He doesn't respond well to those tactics. I figure he might listen if you aren't on his back as much.

Only one person kept him focused - Rahiel his ex-girlfriend. But she dumped and although he won't tell me why, I'm sure she had absolute good reason. The only reason he won't tell me things is when he knows he's at fault.

But whatever he's going through, he needs to get over because with a 1.8 if he graduates, the only thing he'll be good for is the unemployment line.

"Ma just you and Auggie have a talk."

"If he wants to talk tell him to come see me."

These rei would be the death of me. 😩