Thanksgiving Woes

Auggie POV-

"Hey baby." My mother smiled brightly over FaceTime.

"Hey Ma." I said not happy with the news I was about to tell her.

"I miss you and Miri so much baby. For thanksgiving I'm going to cook all your favorite foods. Got your garlic lobster tails. Got Amiri's gumbo. What else y'all want baby so I can get it when I go out shopping in the next couple of days." She got a piece of pen and paper.

"About that. Uh...me and Miri gon stay down here for thanksgiving Ma."

"In D.C.? But you always come home baby." My mother said confused.

"I know. But I'm trying catch up on school stuff. You know, make sure I got all my apps in."

"Oh yeah those law school apps are important."

"Yeah." I said dryly. That was another bomb. She didn't know I decided to go the O route instead of following her and Sata to law school. That wasn't my thing.

"But if you come home me and Sata can help you with your personal statement and stuff like that."

"Sata just had surgery. I'm not trying to tie her down."

"She's okay baby. You know the doctor said its a good chance she can have kids now. Since the surgery."

"I know." I let out a smile. "I'm happy for her and O."

"Finally I can have some grandkids around here to keep me company because I've been dying without you and Miri. You two are my babies. Which is why you need to come it's only a couple Of days Auggie."

I sighed. "I know Ma, but this is important and I just want to focus. I'm not trying to disappoint you again."

"Oh baby you're not a disappointment. I just want the best for you."

"I know. Which is why Imma stay down here. I'll visit another time."

She looked really sad.

"I need to go. Your father is coming home soon."

"Ma can you not be like that."

"I'm not being like anything. I know it's that girl keeping you from me." She snapped.

"What?" Ma Ra ain't got nothing to do with this."

"Oh yes she does. You have never, ever, did bad in school or dared not spend time with your family until she came around. But you will learn. Never too put anybody before the woman that birthed you." She practically yelled.

"Ma you over reacting."

"Who you gon spend thanksgiving with then? Whose cooking for you huh?"

I sighed.

"Exactly. You'll learn."

"Ma."

"I have to go." She hung up on me.

I fell back onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. This was getting to be too much.

Amiri POV-

"Hey Ma." I smiled answering the phone.

The look on my mother's face was not one of amusement.

"You call yourself not coming home for thanksgiving?"

"I was gon stay with Auggie so he wouldn't have to stay down here by himself."

"That girl is keeping him from me ain't she?"

"What girl? Ra? No ma."

"Don't lie to me Amiri."

"I'm not lying. He honestly staying down here so he can do school stuff."

"Two days out of your schedule you can't make room for your own mother? As much as I have been there for you two. The things I sacrificed for you two." She said getting angry. "Especially you Amiri."

"Ma chill. You overreacting."

"Don't tell me I'm overreacting you and Auggie think I'm stupid. Not once had ever not came home until he brought that girl into the picture."

"You're paranoid Ma. Ra is not like that. I don't care about Auggie but I want you home. Imma buy you a plane ticket and send you the information. Let him allow that girl to destroy his life by himself. You stay focused and you stay away from trash like that. That try to pit you against your mother. You find you a nice Ayesha Curry. That's the type of woman I want for you. She would respect me. Do you hear me?"

"Yeah Ma." I sighed.

"Call me when you get the email with the flight info."

"aight." I said annoyed but still trying to be respectful.

"Love you baby."

"Bye Ma." I hung up and went in Auggie room.

"She making me come home." I stood at his door.

"She is tripping mad hard." He said.

"For like no reason. And I don't want to leave Morgan down here by herself. Especially on a damn holiday."

"I already know Ra not gon come. Even if we did the whole stay at Sata house again. And I don't want to leave them either."

We both sighed.

"But you know if we don't go she gon feel some type of away so let's just go." I said giving in. "On top of that we haven't seen here since August to be fair."

"Fine." Miri agreed.
------

"So babe I'm gon go home for thanksgiving." I told Ra. I had went over to her apartment after I bought me a plane ticket home. "I know you don't want to go."

"You're exactly right. I don't have time for negativity and I feel that's all it's gon be. Is Miri going?" She said putting on her night clothes.

"Yeah. Mama making him." I sighed. "So y'all spend thanksgiving with Morgan. Make sure she good. I'm gon catch a plane home, so Imma leave my car here for her, in case she need it."

"Yeah me and Morgan already planned what we was gon do, when y'all decided to stay."

I laid on the bed and rubbed my eyes. "I just don't get my mother some times. Like..." I was really speechless. "Whatever I'm not gon worry about it."

Ra got in the bed next to me. I pulled her close.

"Imma talk to my dad while I'm there. I gotta tell somebody because the longer I keep it in, the more it's gon fuck with me."

She rubbed my hair and kissed my forehead. "Don't let her stress you out. At some point she needs to realize you are not a little baby or her man. You are her grown son."

"I know baby, but give her break. Me, Miri, Sata all she got. I imagine it's hard for any person, especially when you really close to your child to see them growing up. Imagine when Shantel start dating. I'm letting the nigga no, ain't no man coming before her daddy ever."

Ra laughed. "You so silly."

"I'm serious." I laughed.

She laid her face on mine.

"Love you baby." I told her.

"Love you too."

"Even though I can't breathe." I said.

She hit me. I laughed. I just hope everything works out. My mother knows I love her and that should be enough right?