Chapter 16: Changes

It was a lot different going back to school after the break, between the usual work, rehearsals for the Spring Musical, and training with Shield, you had barely any time to yourself. Things didn't really change too much for you and Loki though, he would, however, come to walk you home most days or take you to your Shield Training, the only real difference being all the kisses and extra cuddling. It was amazing, you wouldn't need to make up an excuse to hold his hand or shower him with affection, you just could, and it was the best as you had never done that sort of thing before with another person. Lily was always down to cuddle and you loved it but this was different, as someone wanted to constantly hold and kiss you back, and you secretly kind of loved it whenever Loki didn't want to let go. But on more than one occasion you were the one who didn't want to let go, refusing to do so, lighting up and letting your obsessive tendencies get the better of you. Loki loved how affectionate you were with him, as no one had ever acted this way with him before, he got lost in your love, it was so addicting, it was always so hard for him to go home at the end of the day.  

The following weeks were so much fun, you went on double dates with Thor and Jane, Loki took you to random spots all over the globe, just having fun together, while either of you wasn't busy that is. With School and Shield to contend with and Loki busy with the Avengers you didn't spend a lot of time together or at least as much as you wanted to, but you made it work. You even talked Loki into doing the occasional training session at the Triskelion, to "help" train the younger heroes, as they clearly needed it, with Thor joining as well, making it a special "Asgardian" class, which all the students looked forward to, but none more than you. Although part of you wanted to run around telling everyone that you and Loki were dating you decided it was best to keep your relationship a secret, or at least on the down-low, with only a few people officially knowing about it, those being Peter, MJ, Thor, and Jane. It could be dangerous for you if an enemy of the Avengers, Loki or of Asgard discovered your relationship, you weren't well trained yet and despite your healing factor and abilities, he didn't want to risk it, especially with what almost happened to Jane. 

The training was hard, and you struggled with it, as you weren't really a fighter, you didn't like getting physical, nor were you capable of doing anything near the same level as what you did back in the city, even though you supposedly still had access to all that power. You were barely able to manifest shields, and anytime your shield was hit, it would instantly break, knocking you back, sometimes hard and it was starting to get to you. It made you feel weak and even a little stupid, you felt so small and worthless on the inside, and although you tried to hide it, sometimes it would get to you, but you wouldn't talk about it. You would just smile, and pretend it didn't bother you, even joke about it a little, but Loki could see how much it really bugged you, and tried to help, saying things like "you'll get it eventually my dear, no one becomes a hero overnight, it will take time but you'll get there, I know it". Loki's kind words of reassurance did make you feel a little better but still, the underlying thought that you were wasting everyone's time was constant and overwhelming at moments. 

Those thoughts of inadequacy once again filled your mind as you headed with MJ to the place you agreed to meet Cody Reich, as you did promise to rehearse the lines from the musical with him. MJ commented on how much taller Cody seemed, she thought it was weird and wondered if she was imagining it, but she was certain he was nowhere near this tall before the break. MJ didn't really pay much attention to the guy, as they weren't friends, but something felt very off about it, and about him, even more than before, and seeing as you knew the guy a little better she wanted your opinion on the matter. You thought about it more, remembering that Cody used to be just as tall as that Cat Poster on the Main School Bulletin Board but now his head lined up with the wooden frame at the top of it, a difference of about 6 inches. You also recalled how he looked just before Christmas when you ran into each other, he looked a little taller than before but it would seem he grew at least a few inches since that day, saying as much to MJ. "Growth Spurt?" you asked MJ as you continued to walk together, "doesn't seem likely considering he's like our age right? Boys usually stop growing at 16 or so right?". You thought about her statement for a minute before saying, "he could be a late bloomer or..." you hesitated and MJ asked, "or what?" and you lowered your voice before you continued. "Maybe he's a mutant... I looked into it and some develop their abilities later in life, as late as even 25 or so apparently, perhaps that's what's up," you said, not 100% sure about it, there were a lot more Mutants around these days but they weren't that common.