Chapter 15: New Years

It was New Year's Eve now, six days since Christmas and six days since you've seen Loki, you missed him so much, but you couldn't exactly hang out with him as your mother was constantly breathing down your neck. She barely left you alone and it was getting on your nerves, constantly bringing up Adrien Cross, and it didn't take you long to figure out she wanted you to date him, well more so marry him, but obviously, that kind of thing doesn't happen right away. You probably should have caught on earlier, like at the restaurant, but at the time, you were thinking your mother was telling you all those things because his family invested in a company she worked at and partly owned. You thought she was bringing you along on this lunch date thing to show you off like she used to do sometimes before you quit ice skating and therefore wanted you to be on your best behaviour. But no, your mother wanted you to marry this rich guy, spending all the days up until New Year's Eve trying to get you to see him again, promising to take you shopping and buy you a new wardrobe and make-up so you'd look nice for him. She told you about all the things you had in common, how easy your life would be if you just dated him, and even saying it was the least you could do for her, to give him a chance, you might actually like him and didn't he deserve a chance? 

You were getting ready for the party now, your mother already did your hair, putting it into a high and thick ponytail but only after curling it, making sure the wavy ringlets were perfect before adding a bit of your favourite glittery hairspray. She then moved on to your make-up and not wanting her to turn you into a Courtesan, you tried to slyly mention that you read up on Adrien Cross a little, saying that apparently, he liked less make-up on girls. You hoped she would take the bait and she did, using natural tones to accentuate your face, a bit of contour but thankfully not as much as usual, using a little highlighter and blush to give you that "glowy look" all the young people on Tiktok were doing. Moving on to jewellery, she popped in a large gold ivory diamond and pearl flower hairpin, with matching earrings and necklace, with you soon looking like the height of sophistication. 

As for your dress, your mother had several picked out but wanted you to wear this gold and silver form-fitting two-piece dress that had a huge slit up one side and intricate straps in the back, showing off nearly everything. The dress itself was very pretty but not really your style, it was more your mother's, besides you didn't like how the dress showed off your mid-drift and back, it made you very uncomfortable. You wanted to wear something else, the handkerchief dress you made for example, hell, you'd even wear your medieval princess dress over the ones your mother picked. In all honesty, though, the dress you really wanted to wear was the one Loki got you for Christmas, you didn't know how he got your measurements, although you had a sneaking suspicion that it had to be on Halloween. You recall showing Loki the pattern and notes you made for that dress as he asked you more about it so you showed him the original sketches you made, one of the pages also had your measurements on it. It didn't really matter to you too much, how Loki got your measurements right, you didn't care, as the dress he gave you made you throw all logic and concern out the window. 

It was the most beautiful dress you had ever seen, one of the dresses you had dreamed about getting married in, assuming you'd ever get married, but you didn't tell Loki that part, only that it was your favourite Cinderella dress. Loki gave you the ball gown from 1998's Ever After, although the one he gave you was a tad more silver, with a seemingly more intricate pattern of lace, pearls and other jewels found on the dress. It didn't come with the wings though, but to be fair they probably wouldn't have fit in the box, not that you minded, you didn't need them, already feeling like a beautiful sparkly princess. You considered briefly making or buying a pair of wings to go with it but decided against it in the end, spending your free time crafting something else that would go with the dress. You tried to show your mother what you made, but she shut you down before you even got the chance to take it out, simply hurrying you along as you still hadn't picked out a dress yet.