Cass x reader

From Fallout: New Vegas

It was warm. Too warm. You could feel the dust around you swirling with the wind. You were laying on your back, looking up at the clouds. A tear fell from your eye, leaving a track in the dirt and blood on your cheek. You had been ambushed, not even given a chance to defend yourself or anyone else in the caravan. They had modified energy weapons, while you just had some old varmint rifles. You never stood a chance. You grew tired, the burning of the sun becoming unbearable for your eyes. You accepted whatever your fate would be and drifted into the darkness.

"Easy there. Don't move too much" You opened your eyes to be met with the blurred form of a person right above you. You blinked a few times to get your eyes to focus, finally being able to somewhat see your surroundings. You looked to be in a bed in a medical tent, a doctor standing above you with a worried expression.
"You're alright, just take it easy" They pushed your shoulder gently, making your relax into the uncomfortable bed.

"Where am I?" You asked with a raspy voice, your throat burning. The doctor brought a small carton of dirty water to your lips, which you quickly chugged down, ignoring the horrible taste.

"You're on the outskirts of New Vegas. You've been here for a couple of days. You were on the brink of death when some troops brought you in here. And well... You must have had a rough time out there. I'm sorry"

"... For what?"
The doctors eyes flickered first to your shoulder, then to your legs. They slowly withdrew the thin blanket that had been covering you, revealing the damage. A leg and an arm. Cut off at the shoulder and the knee. It was the arm your bracelet had been on that was now missing. Your head began swimming and fell back down into the pillow.

"Hey, hey. Stay with me. You're still alive, and there is no infection. It is a miracle really. You seem to have been shot with energy weapons that immediately cauterized the wounds. You would have bled out otherwise"
They pressed down on your shoulder, the pressure slightly grounding your racing thoughts. You took a few moments to breathe before you again turned to the doctor.

"Do you have my things? The bastards who shot me didn't take anything" You asked, the doctor nodding and taking your bag from its place beside your bed. You grabbed a piece of long junk metal, something you originally had planned to break down for scrap to sell. You swung your remaining leg over the side of the bed, making the doctor let out a distressed yelp.

"Please, you were almost dead only hours ago, it wouldn't be wise to-" You tossed a couple of stimpaks and a bag of caps at the doctor, who caught them with astonishment.

"I have work to do. Take this as payment for not letting me die" You stood up, bracing yourself on the piece of scrap. The world threatened to turn dark again, but you blinked and took a few deep breaths until you were alright again.
"Bye" You slowly got out of the medical tent, leaving a very confused doctor to wonder what just happened.

You had to get back to your employer. She had to know what happened to her caravan. This was a calculated attack, not just a band of raiders. They didn't take anything, so this had to be personal. The other caravans had probably been attacked too.
Your eyes squinted at the harsh sun outside. You just had to trek across the Mojave by yourself, with only one leg and one arm. Piece of cake.

You only made it to the gun runners shop by nightfall, the lack of leg making it impossibly harder to walk. You shambled up to the robot in the booth, leaning against the wall.

"Hey, you got any hammers or rippers in there?"

"Certainly"

You didn't want to spend your hard earned caps like this, but you had to make this scrap into something better, or you would never make it across the desert.
It took you until sunrise to fashion the scrap and a couple of leather belts into a decent prosthetic leg. It hurt like hell to run on it, but it was better than nothing.
You reckoned that this was good enough for your journey, but decided to buy one last thing from the shop.
A 3.57 magnum and enough ammo to make a deathclaw cry.
Sure, you might be broke now, but what good will caps be for a corpse?
You then set off again. Limping, but determined.

The journey was quit for the most part, only a few radscorpions and giant ants bothering you. Nothing you couldn't dispatch with ease.
By the third day of your journey, you could finally see the giant ass metal statue of two people shaking hands. Almost there. You just had to scale the steep way up. Piece of fucking cake.

Sweaty, swearing and too over it at this point, you finally got to the dingy bar you knew she liked to stay in. You opened the door and looked around. The person behind the counter looked at you like you were a dead person walking. You probably looked like one. Your eyes scanned the bar, finding no trace of her anywhere. You then walked to the bartender, clanking with every other step.

"Girl with red hair, a ranger hat and a worrying relationship with whiskey, she here?" You asked, your voice dusty from the trek through the Mojave.

"Uh, yeah. Out the back I think" They answered, their eyes never leaving the empty place of your arm.

"Aight, thanks" You clanked your way out the door again, already used to the stares.

You turned the corner to a pityful sight. Cass was leaning against the wall, several empty bottles lying at her feet. She was staring at something in her hand, tear tracks on her dusty cheeks. She was clearly in her own world, since she didn't even seem to hear you clanking to her side.
As you got closer, you saw the item she was holding in her hand. It was the bracelet you used to wear on the arm you lost.
You kneeled as well as you could, getting eye level with the woman in front of you.

"Oi Cass" Her head whipped up at the sound of your voice, her eyes cloudy.

"You..." She whispered, clearly drunk.
"Why did you come back to haunt me?"

"I ain't haunting shit, except the people who attacked the caravan" You stretched out your remaining hand.
"Now let's get you up" She looked at your hand, before tentatively raising her own to meet it. As soon as her hand touched yours, she gasped and retracted her hand.

"You're alive?"

"I think so. Unless I missed something important" You barely managed to finish your sentence before she flung herself at you, crushing you in a hug.

"I thought you were dead. I found your arm and..."
She mumbled against your chest.

"It's alright. You ain't getting rid of me that easily" You held her for a couple of seconds before you looked around at the many empty bottles.
"We talked about this Cass, whiskey is not how we deal with problems"

She just mumbled into your shirt and you sighed with an amused smile on your face.
"So. You ready to go find the bastards?"