Chapter 37

After Lisa collapsed, the entire estate was thrown into chaos. Jungkook, Jin and Jisoo had already been frantic by the fact that she had disappeared, but now that she suddenly collapsed on top of that, they became even more panicked.

The doctor arrived, practically dragged there, to check on Lisa’s condition while the three members of the Ducal family trembled in anxiety.

“She just fainted due to lack of energy. The Young Lady will get better soon once she’s taken some medicine and food that would be good for recovering stamina.”

The three sighed in relief when it was confirmed that Lisa didn’t have any particular chronic disease.

But they weren’t entirely relieved just yet.

“Amber. I need to talk to you,” Jisoo said, beating her husband to the punch when he also wanted to interrogate Amber.

She still felt bitter that her husband was taking care of Namjoon’s daughter better than the son he had with her, but underneath it all, she felt indebted to both the Duke and Namjoon.

And she was quite fond of Lisa.

Her persistent visits and letters were enough to open the door to her heart, even if only slightly.

“Wife, I’d like to talk to her first,” Jin said as he glared at Amber, but Jisoo politely refused.

“It’s up to me to deal with the Duchy’s internal affairs. I deeply regret that I have not been attending my duties responsibly as of late, but please entrust this matter to me, Duke.”

Astonished, Jin was rendered speechless. When his wife, who had always been detached, came forward voluntarily like this, it felt like the tip of his tongue had gone numb.

Jisoo glanced at her son as he hovered by Lisa’s bed, then spoke to Jin again.

“If you would like, then why don’t you come with us, Duke? If you have something to ask.”

“…Hmm.”

Jin didn’t want to leave his son alone with Lisa in her room, but he couldn’t refuse his wife’s suggestion.

He felt remorse for the woman who should have lived happily and loved by her husband. If only the previous Duke had not drawn her in.

Jin looked back at Jungkook before he followed Jisoo out the door.

“It would be best to rest as well, Duke,” Jisoo said, at which Jin was forced to turn forward again.

Even after the two left, Jungkook stood motionless and simply stared at Lisa.

He looked at her pale face with cold sweat and held her hand. His own fingertips were sweating, and he recalled Enzo’s words.

”What do you want to do…?

He didn’t know. He just wanted to be by her side.

Whenever he saw Lisa, all he wanted was for her to look at him as well.

He wished she would follow him around everywhere like before, just as naturally as the wind blew, and just as the sun rose when morning came.

It was no exaggeration that his memories began at the age of fifteen.

It had been a long time since he had forgotten the memories he had before he met Lisa, and even now, he didn’t want anything to do with his parents.

He didn’t want anything or anyone else. Only Lisa.

That’s why he didn’t quite understand what Enzo was asking him.

As he was in deep thought, he kept moving his hands.