Ten

Harry Styles.

Gutted would be an understatement. When I slipped Brie my number, I had a plan to talk to her about that drunk dick she was with in the street at such an early hour. She intrigues me. She's not like the usual people I talk to. Well, that's easily done, as I avoid talking to girls in general. Im a big believer in fait and the chances of me running into her multiple times since I moved here has got to mean something.

I've been trying my hardest to refrain from messaging her first. I believe when/ if she's ready, she will contact me first. Does she even want anything to do with me? She was a no show to our coffee 'date', but she didn't refuse to re-schedule. Maybe there is still hope. Her situation can't be good at home if she's willing to spend time with another man, unless I have been giving off 'friends' vibes that is. By the look of that guy she was dragging home, he didn't seam like the sort of guy she would date. But what do I know, I don't really know anything about her. Which brings us full circle to now.

Today has been like any other day here at 'Home For Hounds'. I've fed my section of the kennels, I've took PJ and Duncan for a walk in the fields and now I'm just sitting at the front death with Cole, my colleague, while he interrogated me.

'Harry! Are you crazy! You're telling me you met this girl, right? You kinda feel like you embarrassed her by accident. Then, you bumped into her and some drunk guy on your way here. This could not be, must most probably is her boyfriend. Then, you literally slipped this girl your number whilst she's with her boyfriend. She then agrees to meet you! For coffee, but after all that, she stood you up?! And you're unsure why she didn't show?!'

'Well when you put it all like that, yeah of course I see why she didn't show.' Cole turns away from me and rolls back to his side of the check-in desk.
I'm not an idiot. I knew what I did was risky and probably shouldn't have done it.

I didn't really look at her perspective of it like that. 'You know, there could be a sliver of hope that that guy was just her friend or something, right?'
With the most bored blank stare, Cole shakes his head, only to turn back away to scroll through his phone.

Yeah, I guess it was a stupid idea. I should just forget about the 'mysterious Bree Jones'. I have no chance with her and she's not interested in me. Not wanting to be stuck in this waiting game, I put my phone on silent and back in my pocket, ready to greet our next customer.

'Hi, I'm Harry. How can I help you today?'

Later that day.

It's not uncommon for it to be just me locking up at the end of the day. Cole and the other staff leave about an hour before me, I could probably leave with them but I like to go around the whole Kennels and check all the pups are happy and have enough food, water and blankets for the night, until someone comes in in the morning.

It's not 6pm. I hate going home. If I could emotionally part with my house, I would have moved out months ago, but, my heart just won't let me.

So, to fill the space of time between now and when I force myself to sleep, I have a few things I can do. I can, go grocery shopping. I can, go see someone from my small handful of friends or, I could be a loner and go sit in a coffee shop with Wi-Fi and pretend like I have a life. Pretend I'm super busy working away. Yeah sounds super depressing, I'll go with the latter.

'Ok, coffee, coffee, coffee ah there we go.' My favourite coffee shop, Laynes. This has been my favourite coffee shop since I can remember. I used to come here and pick up the same two drinks of one mocha with caramel and one cup of black coffee. Things have been difficult to get used to these past few months, but this is probably the hardest adjustment.