Twelve

On a drizzly morning, it's my first day back since Ash gave me some time off to get my ducks in order. Any normal boss wouldn't accept heartbreak as an illness, so he's done me a massive favour. I also missed out a weeks worth of seeing Harry at 'home for hounds', I'm still deciding if that was a good or a bad thing.

In fact, it's our last day there and I'm shitting my pants. I just about got the route down. Leaving my house and locking the door, I wave to Mumford in the window. Turning in my spot, I notice Frank, my neighbour, leaving as well.
His head turns to meet mine, and gives a polite smile.
'Morning.' That's odd. Frank never talks to me. He doesn't talk to anyone really, so why today?

'Oh hi, Frank.' I keep it short and sweet, unsure why he's even bothering with me. Tugging my bike in the direction I need to head, Franks voice stops me in my tracks.

'Brie? Wait a moment will you.' This is definitely the longest we've ever talked before. Fixing his coat and hat, I see him reaching into his pocket to pull out a piece of paper. We've never had a proper conversation before so I'm kind of relieved when all he does is hand me the paper, tilt his hat with a smile and carry on down his path.

What just happened, it felt like I was in matrix or something.

I check to see he's gone, wasting no time and ripping open the envelope.

Hi Brie, this is Frank, your neighbour. We haven't really spoke before but I know a lot about you. Watching you over the years going to and from, I've picked up on your situation. I don't mean to pry, but if you ever just need a friend or someone to talk to, I'm always available. Living on your own can be quite challenging, I know that. All the best, Frank.

What a sweet old man! I can't believe I've never talked to him properly before. That's really makes me smile.
Climbing onto my bike, I head to 'Home For Hounds', maybe today is going to be a good day after all.

I got to 'Home for hounds' on time today, sending a quick text to Ash to let him know I'm almost there. The rain only pelts down harder, only my jacket and hood to keep me sheltered as I make my way into the car park. A very shiny expensive car catches my eye in the corner. Well that person had money, damn.

I don't want to look creepy just watching this person, but who in the world drives one of them day to day, especially to a dogs home.
I chain up my bike to the gate, doing my best to get a better look.

That's Harrys car! Wow. Not trying to ease drop, but to be fair, he is pretty much shouting at this point. 'Yes. God, how are you still not listening to me. All I'm asking is for you to take her name off of the insurance, and put it all into my name.'

Oh this sounds serious Brie, this isn't stuff you should be listening in on! Just walk inside and act like you heard nothing. It's non of your business.

Getting half way to the front door, I hear Harry start shouting down the phone. I've never thought about what he would sound like when he's angry, I've only ever heard him be polite and calm. 'You are honestly no fuckin' help! My lawyer will be in touch very soon. How insensitive and stupid can you be!'

Stepping through the doors now I want to kick myself for even doing what I did next. Turning towards where Harry is still sat in his car, the rain bouncing off the tarmac and metal cars. I look through Harry's window and give him a smile that I wanted to say 'hope you're ok' but really it probably looked more like 'what are you doing?' To save my awkward self, I give him a wave and head inside.

'There she is! It's bloody dancing down today isn't it? Sorry, I would have come and picked you up but I had to drive the kids to school.' Ash is walking over with his big smiley face and a floppy haired dog under his arm.