16. realization and conflict

┌─────── °.•☆•.° ───────┐

MISCHIEF MANAGED
— REALIZATION AND CONFLICT

└─────── °.•☆•.° ───────┘

─── · 。゚☆: *

─── · 。゚☆: *.✧ .* :☆゚. ───

It has been nearly a week since Lyla's small outburst and she has been staying away from Fred ever since—mostly because he was avoiding her as well. There have been many moments where she would express anger towards somebody and later on be too ashamed to even be in the presence of that person. It was a huge flaw of hers and it was something Cedric knew all too well because of how annoying he could be sometimes—actually, scratch that. He was annoying to her all the time.

"You think the second task is going to take place inside the Black Lake?" Lyla repeated her brother's words with a crinkled nose and suprised tone as they both walked out of the Great Hall after lunch.

"Lyla, why else would the egg open underwater? It makes perfect sense," Cedric spoke rather passionately, using his hands to express himself even more.

She scoffed, carefully running a hand through her hair because she didn't want to break her curls. Aurora helped her tame them before heading down for breakfast because her hair would go absolutely wild in the morning. "I doubt the teachers would let you dive in there when you can barely breathe under the water. That's complete rubbish, Ced."

The brunet groaned in annoyance, rubbing his face with his hand. He chose not to convince his sister who was extremely adamant on her point as she changed the topic, "When is the next task again, by the way?"

Cedric paused for a couple of seconds, deep in thought. "It's on the 24th of February, I believe."

Lyla's eyes widened as she bounced on her toes as they walked into the hallway. "It's a few days before my birthday!" 

"You're right!" Cedric gasped as well. He couldn't believe how old his sister was growing. It felt like it was yesterday when she first came into his life when he was just a year and a few months old. "I can't believe you're turning sixteen."

"Me too. I still feel like—" The Hufflepuff was cut off her words when she felt her shoulder being shoved forward by a body from behind. Cedric's expression morphed into one of alarm as he lurched himself forward to avoid his sibling from falling with his hands flying to grab her arm.

Lyla glanced up to see the back of a head of red hair who she recognized too well to be Fred. His way of walking seemed to be filled with smug and pride with his chin up high and his broad back straight.

"Hey, Angelina!" Fred called his classmate who turned around, smiling as she stopped in her tracks to wait for him. Once he reached her, he swung an arm over her shoulder as they both continued to walk towards their next class.