30. emptiness

┌─────── °.•☆•.° ───────┐

EMPTINESS
— MISCHIEF MANAGED

└─────── °.•☆•.° ───────┘

─── · 。゚☆: *

─── · 。゚☆: *.✧ .* :☆゚. ───

On usual days whenever they'd head back home after the school year finishes, Cedric would plop himself down on the couch, not before dragging Lyla in with the brightest grin plastered onto his face, of course.
Their father would just shake his head and laugh, proceeding to cook dinner for his children.

But as the door to the small house creaked open with a groan, no laughs were lingering in the air. It just felt wrong without Cedric around. The brightness to the house, these type of moments, were suddenly all gone — like somebody had blown out a candle.

The air smelled dusty, probably due to the fact that nobody was in the house for the past couple of days. The atmosphere felt awfully stiff and tense as Lyla and Amos dragged their trunks into the house, faces pale and unmoving.

Nobody said a thing — nothing had to be said, anyway. The current situation spoke a thousand words already.

If Cedric were there, it would've been one of the happiest moments of their lives. Maybe he would've won the Triwizard Tournament. Maybe he would use the prize money for a new bigger house or a trip to somewhere out of the country. He'd always talked about wanting to visit China. Lyla always teased him then, saying he wanted to go there because of Cho.

Lyla's heart sank at the fact that Cedric was no longer there, standing with her, throwing his bags onto the couch and exclaiming words of content like he always did.

Carrying her things up the stairs, she kept her head down, refusing to look up knowing she'd see moving pictures of him hung up by the walls, grinning or laughing. Lyla kept her gaze onto the floor or towards the left because she knew that if she looked towards the other side, she'd see the door to his bedroom, full of all his things.

Lyla shuffled into her room, her boots sliding against the floors with an unsteady shh, shh, shh. Her initial plan was to simply unpack her belongings and lay down all day. After all, she knew this summer was going to be the worst two months of her life.

But the universe decided those plans were to be changed. The last thing she expected to see in her bedroom was a stack of books on top of her desk and a small cat laying on top of her bed. A cat. It was cute. She remembered wanting a cat when she was a little younger but her father had always been against the idea of having an animal in the house.

Its coat was ivory white, seeming freshly combed and groomed. But its colorpoint coats gave her the perspective of curiosity, with darkened fur around its small face, ears, legs, and tail. The cat's piercing grey eyes gazed into hers as it slowly awoken from slumber.