29. what happens next

┌─────── °.•☆•.° ───────┐

MISCHIEF MANAGED
— WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

└─────── °.•☆•.° ───────┘

─── · 。゚☆: *

─── · 。゚☆: *.✧ .* :☆゚. ───

The world suddenly no longer had purpose.

The wind that stung Lyla's cheeks no longer gave her that chill she always loved to feel, that sent goosebumps down her spine and caused the hair on her skin to stand. She always used to whine about the grass poking beneath her thighs, claiming that they made her itch.

Cedric used to offer her his robe whenever she complained.

"Here," he huffed, chucking his robe over to his thirteen year old sister and watching her grab his robe. She placed it on the grass carefully and plopped down on top of it.

"Better?" Cedric asked.

Lyla pouted her lips in thought, shifting to sit more comfortably. "Meh. It's fine. The grass is poking through the clothing though."

Cedric smacked his hand over his forehead. "Seriously?" he deadpanned. "What do you want me to do then? Bring you a bunch of cushions and treat you like a princess?"

"I wouldn't protest."

Fuck.

Empty. That's what she felt like. It was as though somebody had stuck their arm into her chest, right where her heart was beating, pulled it out and left a huge hole there.

Cedric. Cedric. Cedric. Cedric. Cedric.

He was all she was thinking about.

It was an hour after his death. Death. She still could not believe it — nobody could.

As soon as Harry was somewhat dragged away by Professor Moody, she had to tear her body away from Cedric's. Her legs were shaking terribly and her knees buckled as she carried her own weight.

She ran.

As fast as she could.

Before she got to leave the Quidditch Pitch, she could have sworn she thought somebody tried to grab her. Or maybe it was all in her head.

Something deep inside told her that what she was doing was wrong. That she should stay behind and cry with her father over her brother's dead body with the rest of the schools. She could not bear listening to their cries, mourning and grieving. But another part inside of her screamed at Lyla, telling her to get somewhere private and just keep to yourself.

She followed the latter.

The sun shined down brightly on the grounds of Hogwarts. The wind was cool yet there weren't any clouds spotted in the sky. Cedric had requested Lyla to meet him down by their tree near the Quidditch Pitch.