Chapter 22

I woke up to the beeping of monitors. My eyes fluttered open, meeting bright lights and a white ceiling with a groan. I lifted my hand up to rub my eyes, only to have it stopped by cords and wires.

What happened?

I looked down. My arm was in a cast up to my elbow and there was an IV along with several other cords coming from my other arm. I grunted and shifted my weight onto my non-broken arm, sitting up slightly as flashbacks of last night played through my memory.

We were about ten minutes into the ride when we got stuck at a red light. I turned up the stereo as we waited for the light to change to green. Once it did, I put my foot back onto the gas pedal pressed it down slowly.

Something doesn't feel right.

I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. My senses were going ballistic, telling me to go faster. To get past this light or something bad is going to happen. My senses have never been wrong before so I decided to listen to them. But as soon as I pressed the pedal down farther, blinding lights blasted through Y/n's window. My senses were going crazier now as the lights rapidly came closer.

My eyes darted around the room, trying to focus on what happened next.

"Y/n!" I yelled, putting my arm out in front of her and trying my best to protect her.

The truck slammed into her side of the car, flipping us over. For what seemed like hours, the car continued to flip and roll until it finally stopped, landing upside-down in the middle of the road. The last thing I heard as the world went black, was the screaching of tires and the low rumble of the truck's engine as it drove off into the distance, leaving behind the mess it made.

Memories of Y/n's condition flooded through my mind.

I tried to move and see if Y/n was okay, but I couldn't. My arm was pinned between the headrest of my seat and the roof of the car, my hand being bent in ways hands shouldn't be able to bend. I could feel the glass shards cutting into my skin as I tried to get my arm free.

I turned my head slightly over to look at Y/n. She was unconscious. There was a fairly large gash across her cheekbone and a smaller one just above her temple. Her arms were cut up, similarly to mine, and dripping with blood. The worst of the injuries left me trying harder to get out of my seat and over to help her; a large piece of glass was lodged into her abdomen and the bone was sticking out from her leg.

"Y/n!" I croaked out, tears streaming down my face.

I would be fine eventually with my super healing. Y/n, on the other hand, didn't have that ability, her injuries could easily be fatal and who knows what is happening inside her body that isn't visible on the oustide.

"Y/n. I need to find Y/n." I spoke to myself.

I used my hand with the cast on it as best I could, ripping the IV from my arm along with the weird pulse thing attached to my finger. The monitors started beeping aggressively as I got up from the bed. I limped over to the door as it flung open and two nurses ran in. Their concerned looks faltering as they realized I was wake and okay.

One of the nurses had curly dark brown, almost black hair which was pulled tightly into a bun, dark skin, and blue eyes. Her badge had the name, Aisha Collins, printed on it. The other nurse had straight hair which was dyed a deep red color. She had green eyes and her badge read, Piper Garcia.

"Sir, please go lay back down. You need to rest." Miss Collins spoke as she gently placed her hand on my shoulder and tried to get me back over to the bed.

"No, I need to find Y/n. I need to make sure she's okay." I mumbled.

"She just got out of surgery. She's not awake yet." Miss Garcia informed.

"Please...j-just let me see her" I begged, my eyes slowly pooling with tears.

The nurses exchanged glances before one of them nodded to the other.

"You have ten minutes and I'm taking you there in a wheel chair. Her condition is bad but she's a fighter. She'll pull through." Miss Collins told me.

I nodded as Miss Garcia wheeled in the wheel chair. I sat down in it and Miss Collins pushed me out of the room. Miss Garcia went back to wherever she was before I caused her to rush to my room. Fortunately, Y/n's room was only a short distance from mine so it only took a few seconds to get there.

Miss Collins wheeled me into Y/n's room, stopping me at the edge of her bed before giving me a slight smile and walking out of the room. I sat in silence for a minute, looking at her beat up, sleeping form as I held her hand.

Her face had several small gashes that had butterfly bandages over them. The larger ones, like the one on her cheekbone and the one above her temple, were stitched up. She had gauze wrapped around her right forearm and some more wrapped around the upper part of her left arm. Her leg was propped up and there was a cast on it up to her mid thigh.

I couldn't see the deep plunging wound on her abdomen, nor did I want to. The gauze which I had assumed was wrapped around her stomach was covered by the hospital gown she was wearing.

That should be me, not her. This is all my fault.

Tears filled my eyes as I continued to blame myself for all of this.

"I'm so sorry." I croaked out, resting my head on her hand and my own.

"She'll be okay, kid." A man's voice sounded from the doorway.

I know that voice.