Chapter 37

I sat up a little bit and removed my feet from Y/n's lap. She moved over and laid next to me, her face pressed gently into my shirt as I rested my hands on her back, my arms encasing her in a warm, protective embrace. We laid in comfortable silence for a few minutes before I spoke.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Yeah." She mumbled into my shirt.

I let out a deep breath and briefly closed my eyes, trying to figure out how to ask this. Y/n lifted her head up.

"What's wrong?" She asked, a look of concern lacing her face.

"A-Are you afraid I'm going to hurt you?" 

"What? No! Of course not!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Peter. Why are you asking this all of the sudden?" She questioned.

"Whenever I sat my hands down on the couch beside your shoulders earlier, you tensed up and I got worried that you didn't feel comfortable with me anymore and that you don't feel safe with me-" I rambled, my voice starting to break slightly as I spoke.

Y/n cut me off and quickly pressed her lips to mine, shutting me up instantly. She pulled away and rested her hand on my cheek, her thump stroking my cheekbone.

"Peter Parker, I feel safe with you. You have to remember what has happened to me in the past. If I flinch away at some points it's nothing personal. Certain things just bring up bad memories. Okay?"

I nodded and leaned into her touch.

"I love you." She whispered.

"I love you too." I responded with a warm smile.

She returned the smile.

God, I love that smile.

I kissed her nose and she laid back down with me, nestling her face into the crook of my neck and playing with my hair as I pulled her closer to me, wrapping my arms around her waist.

We didn't go to sleep. We just laid in each others arms, a comfortable silence washing over the both of us.

I let my mind wander with thoughts of Y/n and I.

Should I ask her to be my girlfriend? Is she already my girlfriend? Would she say yes? I hope she will. Should I ask her right now? Is it too soon? I mean she knows I love her and she says she loves me back. I think I'll ask her right now. Yeah, I'm going to do it. Well then do it already, Parker, you don't got all day! Shut up, Brain. I'm gonna do it in a second.

I let out a quick and nervous breath. Y/n furrowed her eyebrows and turned her head up to look at me.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Mhm." I nodded and gave her a sheepish smile.

"Okay, what's up? That was clearly a lie." She lifted her head up and sat up, as did I.

"Are we...uhh...a-are we like a couple?" I asked, mentally slapping myself for stuttering so much.

Y/n smiled and let out a slight laugh.

"You're adorable." She laughed.

Why was she laughing? Was she faking it when she said she loved me? I should have never asked. Yeah, you shouldn't have. What the hell, Brain?! It was your idea! Don't pin this on me, we're the same person, dumbass.

"Nevermind, I shouldn't have asked." I spoke, becoming embarrassed.

Y/n's smile dropped and looked me in the eyes.

"Peter, I wasn't laughing at you for asking. I was laughing at how adorable and awkward you are." She smiled again.

"Thanks?"

She laughed again.

"So, what's your answer? Will you be my girlfriend?" I asked nervously.

"Yes." She responded.

"Really?"

"Yes, Peter. Really."

I smiled and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. Y/n stood up from where she was sitting beside me.

"I think I'm gonna go to bed. You staying up?" She asked.

"Uhh yeah, I'm not that tired right now." I informed.

"Okay. Goodnight, Pete."

"Wait, come here."

I reached out and did grabby hand gestures. Y/n smiled and walked over to me. I leaned up and placed a stoft kiss on her forehead before pulling away and speaking.

"Goodnight, Y/n." I smiled.

She returned the smile and walked back to my bedroom. Well, I guess it is technically our bedroom but that just sounds weird.

As soon as I heard the door click shut, I pulled out my phone and called Ned. After about ten seconds of waiting, his face popped up on the screen.

"Pe-" Ned started but I interrupted.

"Nedyou'llneverguesswhatjusthappened!" I exclaimed, running all my words together.

"You got a puppy?"

"I already have one of those."

"Yeah, and I haven't seen him yet."

"That's not the point right now, Ned. I asked Y/n to be my girlfriend and she said yes!"

"No way!" He yelled.

"Ned, it's late. Get off the phone and go to sleep." Someone spoke, walking into the frame of Ned's camera. "Oh, hey, Peter!" She smiled.

"Hi, Mrs. Leeds." I pressed my lips into a smile and waved to her.

She returned the smile and walked out of the camera's frame.

"I gotta go, Peter. I'll text you tomorrow." Ned spoke.

"Night."

I ended the call and stood up from where I was sitting on the couch before walking into my room. I plugged my phone in and sat it down on the stand next to the bottom bunk of my bed. Y/n rolled onto her side and faced me, still awake.

I flashed her a smile before climbing up onto the top bunk and sitting down. I moved over to the side of the bed and hung over the side, looking at Y/n upside-down. She looked at me and laughed. I leaned down further and held on to the bars of the bed for a grip so I wouldn't fall.

"What are you doing?" Y/n asked, laughing again.

"Hanging upside-down." I stated.

"No shit."

She sat up and moved over to me, her face now inches from mine. She smiled and pressed her lips to mine. I let my eyes flutter closed and kissed back.

(I don't know how to describe the kiss but it is the one upside-down kiss from Spiderman)

I smiled into the kiss and Y/n pulled away. I looked into Y/n's eyes with admiration before she spoke.

"Goodnight, Parker." She smiled and laid back down, pulling the blankets up to her neck.

"Goodni-"

I went to sit up correctly and slipped while replying to Y/n. I fell forwards off the bed and landed on the floor with a loud thud.

"Ow."