Chapter 29

Okay, Peter, it's only a half hour before she's out of surgery. She can get through this. She'll be okay. She will be okay, right? God, Y/n, please be okay. I can't lose you too. I care about you too much to lose you too. Please, be okay.

I sat down in the uncomfortable hospital chair and flung my legs over the side, resting my back against the armrest and curling into myself. After a few minutes, May walked back into the room and handed me a bottle of water and two sandwiches

I looked up to her and gave her a weak smile before taking the items and pulling the plastic wrap off the sandwich so I could eat it. Once I was done eating, I nearly chugged the bottle of water. I guess I was hungrier than I thought. I got up and threw away my trash before slumping back down into the chair.

After about an hour of waiting for Y/n to get out of surgery, I started to get worried.

Where is she? Is she okay? What's going on? Why hasn't Dr. Dumbass come in here yet?

As if on que, Dr. Dumbass walked in. I shot up out of my seat and May stoof a few feet away from me.

"Is she okay? Where is she?" I asked impatiently.

"I was able to stop the bleeding and with time she'll heal fully and she will be able to go home. She's in a new room, a few doors to the left." He spoke, his face showing a look of cockiness.

I smiled widely and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding before turning to may and hugging her tightly.

"She's gonna be okay!" I exclaimed into her shoulder, tears of relief sliding down my face.

"I told you she would!" May responded.

Dr. Dumbass cleared his throat from behind us, striking our attention and wanting us to thank him as well. I pulled out of the embrace and directed my gaze towards him, looking at him with a look that said 'you're seriously going to be cocky right now?'

He looked at me like he was expecting something in return of saving Y/n's life.

"What?" I asked.

"I just spent eight hours trying to save your little girlfriend's life, and you aren't even going to thank me?" He asked, cockily.

"No, I'm not. Because if you would have done your job right the first time, she wouldn't have needed saving!" I hissed, my voice raising again.

May placed a hand on my shoulder, trying to keep me from having another outburst. I balled my fist in my hand as Dr. Dumbass looked at me again, this time his eyes shooting daggers into my head.

I let out a deep breath and calmed myself down before quickly walking out of the room, making sure to run my shoulder into Dr. Dumbass' on the way out. May followed behind me as I ran door to door, looking at the files hanging by each one.

I finally got to Y/n's room and slowly opened the door, walking in and looking over to her sleeping body. I pulled a chair over to the side of her bed and sat down next to her. I slipped my hand into hers and watched her peacefully sleep as May sat on the other side of the room in another chair.

I thought I lost you.

I let a tear slip down my face before resting my head on top of mine and Y/n's hands and closing my eyes, falling into a much needed state of sleep.

...

My eyes fluttered open as I felt someone's hand on my shoulder, gently shaking me awake. I let out a sleepy groan and lifted my head up, slightly opening my eyes to see who it was.

"I have to leave. Visiting hours are over. I'll come back tomorrow afternoon after work. Will you be okay?" May asked.

I nodded sleepily and she placed a kiss on my forehead before walking out of the room. I placed my head back down where it was before and fell asleep peacefully.

...

I heard someone clear their throat from the doorway of the room. I jerked my head up and quickly wiped my face off as I looked to the doctor, repositioning myself into a sitting position before he started to talk.

"Are you Miss Y/l/n's family?" He asked.

Why the hell is he even asking that? I've been here the entire time. I fucking spoke to him both times he was in here.

"Yes; Peter Parker." I responded.

"I wanted to tell you myself..." He paused.

Get on with it, dumbass.

"Wanted to tell me what? Is she okay? Is she out of surgery yet?" I asked impatiently, my mind automatically assuming the worst.

"She is still in surgery. It's worse than we thought. She has severe internal bleeding that we didn't realize. How it is just now affecting her, I have no idea...She-She uhh..." He paused again.

"She what?" I asked, my voice raising a little as I grew even more impatient.

"She coded." He finished.

My heart dropped.

"But she's okay though, right?" I asked, tears filling my eyes.

"She coded while one of the doctors was working next to a vital organ. Her body jerked and he cut into something he wasn't supposed to. I'm sorry, Mr. Parker, we weren't able to save her." He stated.

I jolted awake, my breathing quick and sweat and tears staining my face. I looked around and found Y/n still sleeping peacefully on the bed in front of me. I sighed, realizing it was just a nightmare and ran a hand through my sweat-soaked hair, wiping my face off with my sleeve and slumping down in my chair.

I'm not going back to sleep. I knew that for a fact. There was no point in trying. I would just wake up in an hour with another nightmare of the love of my life dying.