Chapter 40

Y/n knocked on the door and it flung open, Y/n's grandma standing on the other side of it, anger lacing their faces as they looked us up and down. I heard Y/n gulp and her body tensed.

"Oh look, she brought a boy. He's probably the one who put her in that cast. I bet she's pregnant as well." Her grandmother spoke.

I gulped and balled my hands into fists. Y/n looked like she was expecting this but didn't say anything.

"Get your shit out of my house before I burn it with you in the room." She hissed, venom lacing her voice.

I inhaled deeply as Y/n rolled her eyes and pushed past her grandmother and into the house. Her grandma dramatically lost balance and stepped backwards.

"Watch where you're going, bitch." She groaned.

This isn't going to end well. I just know it.

"You said you wanted me to get my shit but you made no effort to move out of my way. You had it coming." Y/n snapped back.

Her grandma scoffed and went back to doing whatever she was doing before we knocked on the door.

I followed Y/n through the house, finally stopping in front of a door at the end of a hall. Y/n let out a deep breath and twisted the doorknob before pushing it open.

The room on the other side of the door looked like a hurricane had just struck it. It was the size of a small walk in closet and everything was thrown around. I looked around and took in what Y/n's living conditions had been like for a solid portion of her life.

No bed. A balled up blanket in the corner of the room was posing as one.

Bare, cracked, dust covered walls.

Ripped up paper thrown around the room.

Broken, blood covered glass scattered around the room.

Broken mirrors facing the "bed" of blankets.

Blood stained, cracked, hard wood flooring.

My eyes lingered on the blankets, broken mirrors and floor.

"They used to make me look at myself in those mirrors after they hit me." Y/n spoke up, staring at them.

My heart dropped. I looked at her for a few seconds then back to the mirrors.

Y/n shook her head and looked away from the mirrors, bringing her hand up to her face to quickly wipe away a stray tear that fell from her eye before moving over to where there was what I assumed was a closet. It had a broken door which had been taken off the hinges and was now just resting against the doorway.

I turned around and faced her. She stood there for a second, staring at the door just like she had with the mirrors.

"They used to lock me in here and wouldn't let me eat if I so much as looked at them wrong." She whispered.

I balled my hands, which were resting at my sides, into fists once again.

She removed her crutches from underneath her arms and bent down, grabbing something from inside the closet before turning around. She had a small wooden box in her hands with three letters carved into it.

"I'm done here. Let's get out of this shit hole before I do something less than legal." She muttered.

I nodded and followed her out of the room.

Her grandmother was standing in the kitchen, a knife in her hands.

"About time. What the hell were you two doing in there?" She scowled.

"Getting my things you claim that are shit." Y/n replied blankly.

"Don't talk back to me, young lady."

"Or what? Gonna hit me again? I wouldn't attempt that. I'm not afraid to hit back."

"Should we test this or should I hit your boyfriend instead."

My eyes widened and I stepped beside Y/n.

"You lay a finger on him and I'll fucking kill you." Y/n hissed.

"I'd like to see you try, slut."

Y/n's hands clenched into fists and I looked over at her.

"I should have killed you when I had the chance. You're the reason my son is dead! You should have died with your mother. She was a fucking slut just like you. She got the easy way out with the whole sickness thing." Her grandma scolded.

I watched as a few tears slid down Y/n's face. I looked away from her and back to her grandmother. I shot a cold, angry glare towards her and she looked over to me.

"She doesn't deserve to be loved. I have no idea what you fucking see in her. You're both freaks."

That was it. I couldn't just stand here and watch as her grandma destroyed Y/n again. I can't let her make her go back to harming herself and thinking nobody loves her and thinks she would be better off dead. I can't let her go back to being that version of Y/n.

"You have no room to talk. You are the freak. You can't possibly think that you are going to get away with 13 years of child abuse without any consequences." I started.

Y/n's grandma looked at me, glaring at me before lunging at me with the knife she was holding. I dove out of the way and knocked the knife out of her after a she swung at me a few times. I knocked her down and pulled Y/n out of the room.

We ran out of the house. Her grandmother followed but stopped at the front door as we ran to the car.

"Don't come crawling back here when you realize I actually did good in raising you." She growled.

I opened Y/n's door for her and helped her in before heading over to my side and doing the same. I started the car and drove off.