Chapter 23

"She'll be okay, kid." A man's voice sounded from the doorway.

I know that voice.

I slowly lifted my head up and wiped my eyes with my arm before turning my face slightly towards the door.

"You don't know that." I mumbled, looking back to Y/n.

"You're right, I don't. But from what you've told me about her, this is just gonna be another bump in the road compared to all the shit she's been through."

I didn't answer. Silent tears slid down my face as I stared down at Y/n's hand in mine. Mr. Stark sighed and walked over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder and tossing a pile of clothes into my lap.

"I talked the doctor into letting you leave. You're good to go whenever."

I nodded but didn't look up.

"This is the same way her dad died." I muttered under my breath.

"What was that, kid?" Mr. Stark questioned.

"Her dad died from a car accident. He was driving home from work and a semi-truck driver fell asleep at the wheel. The driver was fine. Her dad was considered DOA."

He stayed silent.

"Pretty damn identical to what happened to us last night." I continued.

"Do you remember what exactly happened last night?" He asked.

"Every damn minute...We got about half way into the intersection when my senses kicked in...I looked over to Y/n and a truck came speeding through the red light. Semi-truck. Drunk driver; left before 9-1-1 showed up."

Tears fell onto the pile of clothes in my lap. Mr. Stark stayed silent, keeping his hand on my shoulder and occasionally patting it.

"Peter?" May's voice filled the room as she ran through the door way.

I turned around and gave her a forced smile.

"Hey, May." I greeted.

She ran over to me and pulled me into a warm, tight embrace. I winced as the hug squeezed my bruised ribs.

"Are you okay? They called me last night but wouldn't let me see you until now." She rambled, tears filling her eyes.

"I'm okay. A little banged up, but okay." I informed.

"What about Y/n?"

May directed her gaze over to Y/n's beat up, sleeping body. I did the same at first, but couldn't stand seeing her hurt so I went back to staring at her hand in mine.

"She just got out of surgery about a twenty minutes ago." I spoke. "The nurse said she's hurt pretty bad but she'll live."

May nodded and placed a hand on my back, comforting me by rubbing it up and down. I sniffed and wiped my eyes.

"Why don't you go change? I'll stay in here with Y/n incase she wakes up." She told.

I nodded and wheeled myself out of the door, back into my room. Mr. Stark followed me and helped me out of the chair before I went into the bathroom to change out of the stupid hospital gown I was in.

I closed the door behind me and carefully slipped off the gown. It was a pain in he ass to get around the cast on my arm but I managed to get it off without having someone's help. I pulled on my jeans and tennis shoes before picking up my t-shirt.

I held my shirt in my hand as I looked at myself in the mirror. I hadn't seen what injuries I had taken to my head and torso yet. I had a large gash across the side of my forehead which had been stitched up along with several other small, yet deep cuts on my face. My lip was split and so was my eyebrow. My right eye was bruised and slightly swollen along with my cheekbone below it. I had gauze on my arms from some larger cuts and a bandage on the left side of my chest, just below my collarbone. And I had a large bruise stretching across my ribs and side.

I broke my gaze from the mirror and maneuvered my t-shirt around my cast, pulling it over my head and covering up my bruised torso before limping back into my room. Mr. Stark was waiting in one of the chairs by the bed with my bookbag and shattered phone in his hands.

I walked over to him and strapped my bookbag onto my shoulders. I grabbed my phone from his hands and pressed the power button. The cracked screen lit up, showing my lockscreen; a picture of Y/n hanging upside-down on the top bunk of my bed while wearing my Spiderman mask and aiming my webshooters at the camera.

I smiled to myself and scrolled through my notifications.

10 missed calls from May

7 unread messages from May

2 missed calls from Mr. Stark

1 unread message from Mr. Stark

3 missed calls from Man in the Chair

13 unread messages from Man in the Chair

1 missed call from Meanie

6 unread messages from Meanie.

You have 14 new voicemails.

I looked through May's and Mr. Starks messages first. All of them asking if we made it to the drive in or if we were okay. Next up, were Ned's messages.

Man in the Chair
How'd the date go?
Peter?
Peteeeerr?
Are you okay?
It said on the news there was a crash about five minutes from the drive in
Are you and Y/n okay?
Peterrrr?
????
PETER!
ANSWER THE PHONE!
im calling Y/n
she wont pick up
im getting MJ and we're going to hunt you down

Me
it was y/n and I in the crash
in the hospital
we're alive

Next I went to check MJ's messages, figuring they were the same as Ned's.

Meanie
text your boyfriend and tell him youre ok
he thinks youre dead
peter?
seriously dude answer
why arent you picking up
peter!

Me
not dead
in a car accident
texted ned
in the hospital

I listened to my voicemails after that.

8 from May,

1 from Mr. Stark,

4 from Ned,

1 from MJ.

All of May's were just asking if we made it, if we were okay, why I wasn't picking up, telling me to pick up the damn phone, and one saying she was calling Y/n and if she didn't answer she was going to call Mr. Stark.

Mr. Stark's said to call May because she was freaking out.

Ned's were the same as his texts; filled with panic and his frantic voice asking if we were okay.

Mj's said to call her or Ned back because they were starting to worry.

My phone started to buzz in my hand. It was May. I guided my shaking hand over the notification and tapped on it. I quickly read through the message before looking up from my phone and directing my gaze towards Mr. Stark.

"Y/n is waking up." I blurted.