|| 30 || Merchant And Monster (Part 2)

Art by Kichip on Deviantart

Monty x !Labrat!Reader

Fluff

(Characters aged up to around 13/14, also Monty got robo legs in this one)

Monty takes in a mutated lab escapee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Uhm, not that I'm complaining, but what is your family going to think of you suddenly bringing home a random child?" Monty didn't seem to hear you at first, instead he seemed more focused on the ground he was staring down at.

"Monty?" At this he finally looked up. He quickly pushed his glasses up so they weren't precariously resting on the tip of his nose before responding.

"I'll figure something out, I always do..." He trailed off, rubbing his hands along her upper arms as if her were cold. "Also, how are you not freezing?" He looked at you weirdly. It was weird and made your chest feel weird, and it made you want to eat a rock. You didn't know why though. But instead you chose the two, perfect words to say.

"Just 'cause" Monty raised an eyebrow incredulously at your response which drew a chuckle from you. "I don't know! Probably something to do with the lab mutations!" You shrugged, taking time to enjoy your newfound freedom. The feeling of the slight breeze in your hair, the chirping of the night time crickets, the occasional barking of far off dogs.

How long had you been in that lab? There was no way to count the days, and the time between experiments seemed random at best, sporadic you guessed. Not fun at all, either.

"It's not really my parents I'm worrying about" Monty suddenly piped up, turning on to an almost hidden path. "It's my sister" He looked over his shoulder to make sure you were still following and hadn't wandered off. You just looked at him, the moonlight reflecting off your eyes and making them glow green.

If Monty was being honest, it kinda freaked him out. You looked entirely human, but much like his friend Billy, he knew that the both of you were distinctly... not.

"Well... Why are you worried about your sister?" You asked, trotting up to walk beside him. Aside from the ambient sounds of the night, the only other thing you could hear what the odd sound of his footfalls. "Also, why are your legs made of metal?".

"In the order you asked, I'm worried about my sister because she's rather... protective about those she cares about. And she's still learning how to be social since her last household wasn't the best" Monty explained, looking disheartened as he continued. You felt a flash of remorse, both for his sister and the fact you had left the only other people you could sympathise with back by themselves. That guilt is not going away for a long time.

"As for my legs.. well, someone got, uh, annoyed, to say the least and decided to cripple me" He spat, and although he hid it well you could still hear the venom in his voice. You decided that maybe it was for the better that you didn't probe Monty for more information as he was the one giving you somewhere to stay. At least until you find your way home.

The rest of the walk was bathed in silence between the two of you, and for the most part you were content to just listen to anything. Inside the lab was quiet, eerily so, so you took this time to appreciate the peace.