Vol.1. Chapter 11.1 : Study Groups

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's POV

"You appear to be in a bit of a shabby state today." My next-door neighbor made a remark about how unkempt my appearance was.

I'd been awake all night, debating whether or not to accept Horikita Manabu's invitation to join the student council. I was also preoccupied with assigning tutors and pupils to groups. Of course, I had to carefully classify them into groups based on their compatibility with others.

Horikita, Hirata, Kushida, Matsuhita, Eichiiro, Yukimura, and Mii-Chan were among the tutors. It's too bad I couldn't persuade Koenji to cooperate and help out. His assistance would have been invaluable for the class.

So that there would be no unneeded controversy among our classmates, I had to carefully sift out the participants.

If I were to allot Karuizawa and Shinohara to Horikita's group, for example, they would be fighting like cats and dogs. There would be no progress made and only chaos and hostility would ensue between them and their relationship would strain even further than it already was.

I haven't told everyone in class about the study groups yet, but Hirata and Kushida have already been instructed by me to talk about them after school today. They could always be counted on to speak up in front of the class and disclose my plans. No one would dare to challenge or argue with them because of their influence among our peers, either out of fear of being alienated by the class or out of admiration for them.

Simply put, I was transferring to them the obligations that I should be doing as a class leader. But, hey, they are my executives for a reason.

"Bloody hell, leave me alone, would you? I sacrificed some of my sleeping time thinking hard about the study groups," I grumbled somewhat as I tidied out my tangled bed hair.

(BritisihKouji? Anyone?)

"My comment was made with no malice in mind. Couldn't you have thought about that earlier in the evening rather than late at night? It would be more efficient because you wouldn't be putting important things off, and it would save you time at night that you could use to rest and be more productive in the morning." She chastised me severely. Did she really just assume I was procrastinating?

"Look, Horikita. Don't just make assumptions about me because you don't know the details of my circumstance." I told her. "Plus, it's not my fault that I happen to actually have a social life, unlike you, and more interesting things to do than sit and study for hours on end." I came back with a ripost. I would have already formed a smug grin on my face if my facial expressions allowed it.

"Are you seriously ridiculing me for my lack of connections and for genuinely putting my time to good use? You're such a child." She snarled; rolling her eyes as we speak. 

"That may be true. But at least I don't get stirred up just because someone decides to do something at a different time than I usually do." I countered.

Horikita and I had a tumultuous relationship. Every so often we would banter with each other, sometimes even hurling abusive words and harsh comments aimed against each other, though, I wouldn't say we're on poor terms.  We knew none of it was meant to be taken seriously, but I'm still very curious if friends are supposed to dispute occasionally like Horikita and I do on a regular basis.

"Everyone, may I please have your attention!" Our conversation abruptly came to a halt when we heard a feminine voice calling out to all of us. Everyone immediately swiveled their head to the direction of the source, exposing there to be Hirata, Kushida, and Eichiiro standing in front of the classroom behind the podium.