Chapter 15

Shaun was panting as he moved gracefully and hit his notes confidently, he was focusing on his solo performance and the cheer from the crowd made him even want to ace his game. He recited each lyric and dance step for this song and now being able to share this with the world is his lifelong dream. He worked so hard to be where he is now. This is what he wanted after all.

As Shaun breathed to deliver the Bridge, he then caught a familiar face plastered on the audience. It was Jess, wearing a rustic short dress that exposed her arms and legs. He was stunned to see her look like this. He never thought Jess could look this stunning, her slow movements as she touched her braided hair were so alluring, and seeing her suddenly pout her lips out of nowhere made Shaun almost crack a loud laugh.

She's silly.

But then he almost halted. His movements stiffened as he saw a pair of arms go around Jess's shoulder, engulfing her, and drawing her close. He then noticed that they were staring at each other, deep in his thoughts Shaun was unsure if he was reading it right but it made his stomach gag. He then saw her familiar innocent, shy smile, the same smile that she often wears with him but this time, it wasn't for him. He then saw Rick's laugh and Jess rolling her eyes painting a picture of their little inside joke, making him feel a spectator of their brazen act.

Shaun closed his eyes, trying to remove the image away. He picked up the beat, recited the remaining lyrics, and made a final twirl as a conclusion to his performance. Shaun has all intention to leave Jess alone but moments after his last step, he lands his gaze on her and instinctively points at Jess's direction, as if part of the act. It solicits another round of applause from the audience, unaware of what's happening, the cheer momentarily helped calm his nerves.

He closed his eyes one more time and when he felt his emotion was controlled, he opened his eyes and looked at Jess again, Rick's arm was still around her. Is this part of their little game? Provoking him?

And then there you went, Jess lifted her eyes and met his gaze.

Shaun tried to read her thoughts through their eyes, but she avoided confrontation like someone who was guilty or was hiding something.

When she looks at him again, he is challenging her, and a blaze is seen.

Shaun smirk. He still has his effect on her, no doubt about that.

Shaun made a final bow in front of the audience as he exited the stage. Walking down the steep stairs he almost tripped when he heard the host announce the next performer. 

"It has been an honor to have with us tonight, one of the biggest names in the industry. Time and time again he has proven his exceptional talent, please welcome an award-winning musician with an undeniable good look, Rick Reed" the emcee uttered.

The young audience made a synchronized chant calling Rick's name as he gave his way to the platform.

Shaun stopped in his tracks as he watched Rick climb the stage as if he owned it. He clasped his knuckles.

Rick smiled and thanked the host as he took the mic from him. He then watches the audience below; his eyes go to Jess who is also cheering for him.

His thoughts trailed to the last conversation they had with the record label.

He initially doesn't want to be here, if he may be honest, the boot camp is the last place Rick wants to be a part of. Alexander Miller and Bennie Hacks went their way to convince him to go, he turned it down right then and there.

Rick does feel uncomfortable with the crowd when he is not singing, it's ironic though that his job must deal with people. Gaining this much popularity was never his plan, he just loves music, period. It was therapeutic for him more than anything else, but his job comes with perks and sacrifices and sometimes he has no choice but to swallow it up and attend interviews and even do fan meetings, it became bearable as years passed but if he can avoid dealing with people he would surely do it and so hearing the record label wanting him to be a part of this year's music boot camp was unappealing for him, this is the very essence of what he doesn't want with his career, even more so having close contacts with the other artists for some time.