Chapter 4

The early morning sun slowly cast in Jess's windowpane, she moved a long side feeling more exhausted than ever, and she suddenly stood up and looked at herself in the mirror. She looked horrible; sleep wasn't generous to her last night. She grunted; Shaun occupied her mind the entire time. She couldn't believe that he walked out without any hesitation, she tried to recall what led the circumstance to end like that and then she realized there was no one to blame but Rick Reed!

Shaun has been very open with his animosity towards that man. She couldn't really grasp where that emotion was coming from but she learned to always be at Shaun's side and his enemies were her enemies too, last night things went out of hand and Jess was hoping that he would trail back to the apartment and hug her, whispering words of assurance and making her feel that he still needs her, the heart can hope but it doesn't mean it's going to come true. She went outside her bedroom door and breathed a sigh of disappointment as the space greeted her.

She readily turned on the coffee maker and pre-heated the leftovers she cooked last night. Shaun never even tasted it. She could have wanted to share this breakfast meal with him just like the old days. They used to be inseparable, she used to giggle like crazy as it echoed throughout the small room in their apartment and he usually tickled her if he got annoyed by her gestures. Another distinct thing about Shaun was his addiction to her cheeks, he usually pinches them until they turn reddish. Jess slowly touched her face remembering the thought.

She checked her watch and she knew she had to prepare for work now but she had no desire to go to the diner yet knowing that she had unsettled issues with Shaun so she decided to send a message to Fred and suggested she would just come in the afternoon instead she reasoned out saying that she has an urgent matter to attend to. She then sipped her coffee and was definite to meet with Shaun and talk with him. She smiled at her plan, she couldn't concentrate much if she was bothered by his ghost, so better yet she saw the devil himself. She nodded in agreement. She quickly finished her meal and rushed to the bathroom to get a quick shower.

After she was done, she went into her closet and spent at least ten minutes scanning as to what she should wear. She wanted to look presentable in Shaun's eyes, not that it does matter. Shaun has seen her plain self every day of his life and doesn't think he pays much attention to it. After searching for quite some time she finally gave up and decided to just grab a pair of jeans and a shirt instead. She also wore her sneakers and put on a little powder and perfume, she checked herself one more time, and off she went.

When she arrived in the studio building, she readily entered the glass entrance when suddenly a pair of strong hands kept her in place. A white-sleeved security officer stopped her tracks as she was about to enter the premises, Jess was confused.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Are you an employee here? Do you have your identity card?" he asked with a hint of irritation.

"Well, no I am not an employee in this building, but I have been here back and forth before, and this seems to be the first time that I have been restrained from going inside. Is this a new protocol or something?" She clarified.

"Well, the tenants did inform us to be stricter with the people entering the area and we have been very lenient about it before as part of the security protocol we have been given an instruction that no guest shall be allowed to enter the building unless mandated by the office dweller."

"What? But I know someone in there, can you please call Shaun Hays? Their office is on the 14th floor of this building. Can you please call him so that he can tell you that he knows me?" She begged.

The security hesitated for a second then eventually gave in. He marched to the front desk and dialed in a number. He then turned to her.

"What's your name again?" He asked.