Chapter 36

She heard the splashing of the waves nearby as Jess started to wake up from her slumber. She stretches her arms and legs trying to cast away the remaining sleepiness she felt.

She got up and opened her bedroom door and she saw her mom just on the balcony overlooking the sea.

"Good morning..." she greeted her mother.

Kris turned her eyes around and weakly smiled at her.

Jess suddenly felt panic. "Mom, how are you feeling?" She asked.

She sat right beside her in the wooden chair and touched her arms gently.

"I feel tired," Kris confessed. "It's been days now that my body feels heavy."

"Do you want to go to the hospital?" she asked, already anticipating the worst possible scenario.

"We can go there later... I just want to enjoy this moment with you and the ocean." She whispered.

Jess stayed silent and just watched her mother. She noticed her eyes sunken, she looked paler than usual, and her breathing was labored. She looked fragile, feeble, and ready to break anytime soon. She has been observing her behavior for days now and she can't seem to count how many times she convinced her to go to the hospital.

"Mom" her voice cracked.

"Being here with you and spending this time with you, this is my redemption. Thank you for giving me a chance Jessie" she uttered like she was saying her final goodbye.

"Mom! Can you not say that, please? We can still do this for a long time, together. We must make up for those moments we were away. You can't, you can't just leave me here." She pleaded.

She touched her face. "I feel that my time is coming, I can sense it. This feeling of peace is slowly enveloping me." She explained.

"Mom, No..." Jess was saying.

"I love you Jessie, you know that right..." Kris stated and Jess saw the slow pace of her movements as she watched her mother close her eyes and an abrupt change in her demeanor.

She was trembling. "Mom! Mom! Mom!" She shrieked. "Mom!"

A loud slam hit her door and the last person that Jess wanted or expected to see was there in the flesh standing in front of her.

"Rick?" she uttered.

"Let me help you, let's get your mom to the hospital, quickly Jess!" He alerted her. She quickened her movements and saw Rick carry her mom carefully and put her in his car. She followed him and secured Kris in the backseat. His movements were calculated as he readily sped up his vehicle heading to the hospital.

She had no emotional capacity to think of why Rick was there then; she was panic-stricken as she continued checking her mother's condition. She heard Rick call someone to prepare for an emergency and when they arrived at the ER there were personnel who were quick to transport her mother to a stretcher and usher her inside.

The scene played in front of Jess was a page in a movie, two doctors in white gowns maneuvered their mother as they checked her pulse and vitals. Jess was frozen as her eyes were fixated on Kris, she looked lifeless.

"Mom"... she whispered, still in a state of shock. This feels like Deja vu on the day she rushed her to the hospital too. Apart from blaming herself, she should not have moved her, though the doctor from the previous health care gave her the clearance that she could transfer her mom, but she didn't consider the strenuous long ride. Could it have contributed to why her condition worsened?

Her eyes widened as she covered her mouth when she saw the clamor of the doctors and nurses, she heard the order to give a shot of epinephrine when the monitor showed a flat line. They were doing CPR continuing to check for a heartbeat. There was nothing. Another adrenaline shot was introduced, and continuous CPR was performed.