Chapter 23

The beeping sound of the monitor and the mechanical ventilator echoed in Jess's ears as she watched her mother's frame surrounded by it.

She wasn't expecting that the turn of events would end up in a hospital bed. She gently touched her mother's hand making her aware that she was there with her. She then whispered.

"You have not done anything for me yet as a parent, there's a lot of things you need to make up for me. Don't leave like this Mom. Don't leave me yet." Her tears dropped once again as she heard her voice crack.

A light sob broke as she tried to compose herself but sadness enveloped her inner core and she couldn't help but feel vulnerable.

Jess heard the door open in the private room, but she was invested in pouring tears as she waited for someone to speak up later. She was suddenly caught off guard when Jess felt that she was clasped tightly by a strong pair of arms as his other hands were tapping her back with affection, soothing her, whispering words of encouragement.

She smelled his manly scent as it filled her nostrils and his warmth as their physical contact remained for a few more minutes. She closed her eyes.

"I'm sorry..." she heard him say.

She opened her eyes this time and stared at the hazel eyes who showed much affection and care towards her.

"Rick, what are you doing here" she uttered trying to wipe the traces of tears from her face.

"I was planning to really get back to the boot camp and drive us home together after the event is done but I heard the news heading here and I just went straight to check on you" he explained.

"Thank you, I didn't know I needed emotional support but having you here really helps." She realized.

"How's your mom?" Rick asked.

"The doctor said she is out of imminent danger for now but her lungs are collapsing so they put her in a mechanical vent, her cancer is spreading too, and only time can tell when her body would succumb to her illness." She relayed the details from the physician as objectively as she could and slowly felt a bitter taste on her lips.

Rick was about to speak when the hospital door suddenly swung open, and a panting Shaun was ushered. He walked straight to Jess and embraced her directly.

Rick was there witnessing the exchange. He must remind himself that it's not the best time to resort to violence, so he stays there silently.

"Are you okay?" Shaun asked as he also checked for any injuries from Jess.

Jess nodded and tried to smile. "I'm fine Shaun." She assured him.

"What happened? Kris was fine earlier when I left the two of you" he stated.

Rick was unsure of the undertone; it seemed that Shaun was letting him know that they were together before the whole incident.

"She was acting fine before, but she's sick Shaun..." she paused. "Maybe she exerted herself far too much, or maybe the heat, it's all my fault," Jess said making her feel sadder with the realization.

Shaun tilted her chin and stared into her eyes. "Look at me Jessie, this is not your fault. You heard me? This is not something you should blame yourself for." He assured her with much conviction.

She nodded, she then suddenly felt a light squeeze of her hand and saw Rick's eyes as he held her with much compassion.

"Take it one day at a time, the doctors are trying their best too to save your mom. Don't lose hope, Jess." Rick simply added.