Chapter 31

A sudden feeling of disgust enveloped Jess's thoughts, who could be his father then? Rick can't possibly be the son of Adam, right? The report of the private investigator didn't include a son or daughter, but if his mother is Iris Adrian, the real girlfriend of Adam Logan... could there be a remote chance that they are siblings?

The hair at the back of her neck started to tingle as the realization landed her unsettled mind.

"No..." she whispered.

The horrifying idea wouldn't go away, Jess's eyes were on Rick, she wanted to confirm, extract the truth from him. They had made love several times now and that tiniest thought prompted that they may be doing incest.

She wanted to vomit.

She turned her heel around and walked away from the scene.

"I need to go," she said and stormed as fast as she could away from the house. She heard Rick call out her name, but it sounded like miles away. She ran, walked, and then ran again as her mind continued to entertain the possibility of her apprehension.

"No" she uttered again, trying to convince herself that this was a sick joke.

He is the son of the woman who killed her father. Can she make peace based on that thought? Why does every time she thinks she's finally getting the happiness she deserves another curveball hits her way and ruins things for her?

This is a miserable game of fate. She concluded.

Out of the blue in the loneliest moment of her life, Jess took her phone from her side pockets and dialed a number.

It rang a few times and when he finally picked up, he said. "Jessie?"

"Shaun... I need you." Her voice cracked.

Shaun knows something went wrong and without further thought he said. "Stay where you are I am going to head there and pick you up"

A light sob broke as Jess provided the address of where she is at. She waited for Shaun at the bus stop shed as she tried to keep things together.

Jess didn't have to wait that long when a white sedan halted and blew a horn. Her senses were alerted thinking that it might be Shaun. Jess moved closer to the vehicle to check; he readily pulled the window down and Shaun's face came into view.

"Hop in..." he said gesturing to come inside.

She secured the belt when Shaun asked. "Where do you want to go?"

She shakes her head. She has no plans; she just wants to get away and think.

"Do you have any appointments today?" she asked slowly, finding her voice.

"None... there are things I need to do but those are not urgent for now." He answered.

"Can we go somewhere remote, a far-end beach, away from the city? I need to think. I am breaking a part Shaun..." she uttered. She bit her lip trying not to weep.

He nodded. He started to drive with a clear destination in mind while Jess sat there in silence, wrapped in her bubble of thought. Shaun was studying Jess in the corner of his eyes and noticed she was wearing a sweatshirt and track pants that weren't her size. A pit of suspicion rested in his imagination wanting to validate where she went prior.

Judging from her demeanor, Shaun knows this is a serious matter and Jess wouldn't be acting this way if this wasn't massive. He wanted to hold her hand and give her some physical assurance, but he decided against it. He has no clear picture of what the situation is, but he bet this involves Rick Reed.