Chapter 32

Jess hadn't heard anything from Rick since the day she ran off from his home. She was battling if it was for the best, or he might be concluding now how much of a psycho she was after the way she acted. Even Shaun has been acting differently lately.

She was reading some notes when she heard a loud ring from her phone. She readily got up and answered it.

"Hello?" She spoke.

"Jess, have you read the latest entertainment news today?" Alexander sounded frantic.

Her brows crossed, not quite sure what he meant. "No, I haven't heard or read anything" she answered.

"Let me send you the link and can you come over, please? We need to sort this out" he stated, Alexander sounded like he was on the verge of panic, what was happening? She thought, adding to her confusion.

The call ended and Jess checked the link that was forwarded to her. It was from a gossip column. A big photo of Rick greeted her when the page finally loaded. She was in a state of shock as she read through the lines word for word as each phrase creates more damage than the other. The headline was enough to make anyone distraught.

"Rick Reed, Son of a Murderer?" 

Jess felt feverish. Who would do this? Her mind went to Rick, how is he taking all this? She read the comment section of the article, and it blew up just minutes after it was uploaded. Some comments are making her sick. How can they celebrate and mock the misfortune of other people?

The society that feasted on social junk food of tittle-tattle is making each mind corrupted, it makes people turn to each other.

Jess readily changes her clothes and makes her way to the recording studio. She has no idea if Rick will be there, she must know if he's okay, but she's not ready to face him yet, not after all, this blows up to their faces.

On her way to the studio, she was contemplating where the information got out of hand. Rick was able to contain these details of his past for a while now. The only different thing is her being mixed in the picture. Did she cause this? But she didn't utter any information to anyone. She was able to take it all in by herself. Or did she?

"Shaun?" Her inner voice uttered.

She recalled what happened to the beach house. Did she unintentionally tell Shaun anything? She can't remember telling him specific details. Was she that drunk that she can't recollect? She remembered a time when Rick called her out on her tendency to forget things when she was under the influence.

No, she made sure of it. She didn't share specific details with Shaun. 

We might even be related for Pete's sake. She thought to herself. That was the closest trivial lines she gave away during that time but still not enough to conclude Rick's mom. 

So, who leaked the information? Jess has felt an ache in her head as she can't whisk away the feeling that she has something to do with what's happening now.

After she arrived in the building, she went straight to the elevator and pressed the floor. She felt nervous for some reason when she was ushered inside. Everyone in the label was pacing back and forth looking agitated. She swallowed.

She saw the familiar faces of Sussie and Marlin, but their attention wasn't on her. They were taking turns answering phone calls and answering emails. She knocked on Alexander's office and when she heard him speak, she entered. She saw Bennie Hacks with him as both eyes went in her direction.

"Miss Lynn, have you heard from Rick?" Bennie asked suddenly.

She shakes her head not as worry settled her mind. So, no one knows if Rick is, okay?