Chapter 3

Jess readily placed the stuff she bought on the kitchen table. On her way home from Shaun's studio she decided to buy some groceries and cook his favorite food. She decided to clean the apartment too, she has been consumed with work lately and she can no longer find some time to tidy the place. She remembered when they first saw this place it was located not far from the city area, she liked it because it was in a safe location too and the neighborhood was decent enough. The flat was a medium-sized home, situated on the third floor of the building. The walls were light shades of golden yellow, the ceiling was white, and the tiles were a shade of wood design marble tiles. On the right side of the apartment was a bedroom, in the bedroom, there was a big window overlooking the city lights, though there was not much that she could see. There was a small kitchen between the bedroom and the living room. On the left side, there is another bedroom that has been empty for a while now. Shaun used to stay there every single time and throw some tantrums when he couldn't make the piece right for his music. She remembered it clearly. The apartment felt empty the first few days that he was away, then it turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. Since then, everything has changed.

Jess took a moment to grasp what happened earlier that day. Shaun's eyes blaze with contempt and she has no idea why, it seems that he does not want to be seen with her around, like he wanted to hide her, could there be truth to what she was thinking? But why? He wanted her to be with him. He asked her to go with him and fulfill his dreams, which meant he needed her.

As a young girl, her mom abandoned her. She wanted nothing to do with the child that she considered an accident, Jess never knew her father too. Later then she heard the story that her father was a coward and fled the moment her mother told him about the pregnancy. She grew up seeking parental love, but it was denied to her completely. In their absence, Shaun's parents serve as substitutes. Her mother still supports her education and financial needs and in return, Mr. and Mrs. Parker took her into their own home as they tried to raise her the best way they can. In their wing, Jess never felt like an outsider but she never sensed the feeling of belongingness too. Like she was there, trying to be invisible and not to cause any stir and be scolded. Her mother entrusted them with rearing her only daughter. The Parkers and her mother have been a long-time acquaintance. They dealt with businesses and legal matters before considering that her mother worked in a firm, giving her to the people her mother hardly knew was beyond comprehensible but then again, if it didn't happen, she wouldn't meet Shaun...

When they were younger Shaun was always the sole witness to her emptiness. He didn't say much, if she wept and hid, he would just sit there looking at her. She was unsure of what images ran through his mind but because of it, she managed to cry less. She doesn't want to be a burden and she doesn't want Shaun to see how weak she is. She learned to hide it well and eventually, she didn't put much effort into it anymore; she created a habit of managing her sadness without crying.

Shaun has always been attracted to the spotlight even in school he wanted the attention all by himself. He always told her that someday he would be famous and that the whole world would recognize his greatness. She was amazed at how determined he was and when he finally decided that he wanted to pursue his passion she was supportive all the way, however when he asked her to be with him, it was a moment of truth that she needed to decide on. Leave everything behind or be with Shaun? Of course, she chooses the latter.

"Maybe he was in a bad mood when I got there... that explains his reaction" she tried to justify it in her mind.

She tried to shake off her thoughts as she remembered that Shaun was laughing with the blonde woman before his mood turned sour the moment, he saw her. She wondered who she was, she seemed cozy with Shaun back there and was beautiful. She decided that she would ask Shaun about the woman when he arrived.